Solved ledger help (1 Viewer)

ZEEq

Local time
Today, 14:03
hello everyone!
my question is regarding general ledger i have student fee invoice table and student payment table if i want to make a ledger of invoice and payment transactions do i need a balance column in ledger table? should i use same amount field for invoice and payments? i want to show running totals or instead of this ledger table approach can i achieve this by any other method this is going to be very large database i need to consider speed and reliability as well please guide me to right direction
regards

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:03
Do not try to maintain a balance field, just calculate it from transactions. Personally I would use the same field for invoices and payments, with payments being negative amounts. A running total can be calculated on the form/report you're presenting to the user.

ZEEq

Local time
thanks @pbaldy for swift reply, Please tell me should i go for ledger table approach? every month invoices are inserted into student fee invoice table through append query how will i copy invoices into ledger table?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm not clear on your table structure, perhaps you can post a pic? If you're already putting the invoices in the student fee table, I don't get the purpose of the ledger table. I'd have a single table for invoices and payments, but you could have a payments table in addition to your fee table. You'd have to join them together to get balances, so in my mind less efficient.

ZEEq

Local time
I'm not clear on your table structure, perhaps you can post a pic? If you're already putting the invoices in the student fee table, I don't get the purpose of the ledger table. I'd have a single table for invoices and payments, but you could have a payments table in addition to your fee table. You'd have to join them together to get balances, so in my mind less efficient.
i have separate table for invoices and payments
Do i need a ledger table for balances or should i go for query approach?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No, I wouldn't have another table. I'd create a union query joining those two tables, and then calculate balances and such from that. Without knowing your table structure I'd guess you'd be pulling student ID, payment/invoice amount, and date from each table. You'd want payments/credits as a negative, so if they aren't in the payments table just multiply times -1 in your query.

ZEEq

Local time
do i need a union query if i have invoiceID in payments table?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You could try a regular query that joins the two tables, with a LEFT or RIGHT join on the invoices table, so invoices with no payments show up. Can you attach the db here?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:03
this is same as proposed.
create a query that will total the invoices (TotalInvoiceQ).
next create another query that will create a running total of all payments (InvoicePaymentsQ)

Attachments

• invoicePayment.accdb
    1.1 MB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom