link an MDW file to a database (1 Viewer)

Traden

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:34
Hi there,

how can i link an MDW file to a network stored database? I read that i need to enter some code but where and how? Please tell me thanks. MDW file and Database are both stored an a networkdirve

thanks

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 04:34
An mdw file (also called a workgrooup) is only required if you have placed security on the db. During the process of applying security you should have named the .mdw file something other than the default system.mdw. If you didn't this will give you headaches as every Access user has system.mdw and will be able to circumnavigate your security.

As for how the security works you must use a shortcut which joins the appropriate workgroup and loads the db. When you applied the security a shortcut should have been created for you. Now as you have the db and the security workgroup both on a network source your shortcut would appear as such.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
"x:\networklocation\yourdb.mdb"
/WRKGRP "x:\nwtworklocation\yourworkgroup.mdw"

There have been a tremendous amount of post concerning security and Microsoft has a very good faq on the subject here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/access/content/secfaq.asp

I urge you to read this document several times to truly understand security.

Traden

Registered User.
Local time
thanks

thanks for your help, i did as you told me, mdw file i created before. I typed text and saved it as a .bat file, but ot doesn`t work. It just opens access when i do open with the selection field of DB as it oopens when you open access direct, not the db i want and no workgroupfile..when i change the lines, first giviing location of db, then workgrouppatch, and then access it says:

the process can not access the file cause in use by another process

to work
/WRKGRP is not recognized as an interal or external command..

and opens access at least...

please help

Last edited:

Traden

Registered User.
Local time
thanks

solved thanks, but i habe one tiny prob, seems that win2k has problems with space in networkpath, folder is OSM Store, and the shortcut can not handle that....damm :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom