Link Tables (1 Viewer)

Jo8701

Local time
Today, 10:24
Hi

We all input data into one database used from a shared drive, one of the users works from home and finds it very slow because of the connection we have.

If she works on a copied version of the database at her home, then puts it in a shared drive how can I link the two so that I can update all of her records. if this can be done so i can press a button for each day that would be ideal.

Thank you for any help on this matter

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:24
There is a mechanisme called replication which does what you want. I've never used it because i don't know exactly what happens.

I would let the user create timestamps for all changes in each table. When the time comes to synchronize i look at the timestamps and update the master database. After that the master database is copied back to the user.

When there are conflicts like a record that was changed in the master and the users database, the user must decide which record is better.

Replication is automatic and it does all the work for you.

HTH:D

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:24
Replication is a very complicated subject and there is no simple and safe solution for the described scenario.

Better would be a Windows Terminal Server solution, where the app is run on a Windows Terminal Server in the main office via Remote Desktop.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 03:24
Replication is a very complicated subject and there is no simple and safe solution for the described scenario.

Better would be a Windows Terminal Server solution, where the app is run on a Windows Terminal Server in the main office via Remote Desktop.

Gotta give a thumbs up for this suggestion. It is a much better solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom