Linking jpeg images to a database field. (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:49
Can anyone tell me if there is a simple method of linking a field in a record in my access database, to a folder on my PC that contains jpeg images, ideally I would like to go from the database to the folder containing the jpegs using this method.

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your reply and although I have looked at the link, nothing seems to fit what I want to do with my access database. In essence I have a database that contains many fields of information about individual servicemen who were casualties in the Great War (13,780 at present), one of the fields I have created in each record, has the title "images". Ideally what I would like to do is have a link in that field that when clicked on would take me to a unique folder on my hard drive that contains jpeg images of the individual serviceman, his grave, local memorial and family photographs (in some cases I have as many as twelve images for an individual). What I had hoped to be possible was to use the auto number assigned by access 2007 upon which I have the primary key set, as the name of the folder that contains these images. My burning question is of course, is this possible? I look forward to any help in this direction, but please keep it simple as I am a novice regarding anything other than the basics. Thank you in anticipation

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:49
Mike, The things I found were typically 1 image per record. I don't see a reason why multiple images per record would not be possible. However, my feeling is you would uniquely identify each image to the proper serviceman and context.
In my opinion you would have up to 12 fields per serviceman info and a link to uniquely identified images. That would allow multiple images per serviceman, but each image in context.

John Doe,grave
John Doe,local memorial

However, if you wanted to randomly show the images for a serviceman, I think that is also possible. You could have a folder identified by serviceman, and within the folder a series of images.( not uniquely identified as to settiing-- gravesite,memorial, father, mother etc). Then on presentation, you would select the corresponding folder, then present each of the related images in some sort of for each image in this folder display the image for x seconds..

Just a couple of thoughts.

You could test out a few options by taking a few images of one or 2 servicemen, and setting up a prototype of what you want. If you want to uniquely identify every image or whether identifying the serviceman only (not the specific setting[grave],[mother] etc) I think that is your basic decision/test at the moment.

On the limited testing/developing I have done with images (Acc20003 XP), I used the materials at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285820
Good luck on your interesting project.

Last edited:

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Images can be assessed by "association", in other words tell the database what to look for it can yield the image. If you are using Access 2007, the 1-12 images, once identified, could be put on a sub-form and, additional option, with Double-Click bring a large image. Numbering of the Images could be 1-12 or alphabetical, whatever method you use you just need to be able to construct the WHOLE image file name.

The slide-show effect of images - I only use with html using a meta-refresh.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom