Linking within query (1 Viewer)

PNEfinney

Local time
Today, 22:24
Hi all,

I tried searching but dont know the terminology;

I have a Base Data Table that has a Code in one field, then a Holiday Entitlement assigned to that code in the next field.

In a Query i have concat two fields to give me a Code that i want to connect to the Base Data table Code and return the entitlement.

As im a bit of a newbie, my current method has been to start a new query, dropping in the above query and Base Data table and connecting them up.

is there a way i can avoid this as i end up with 'Staging' tables throughout my DB. I tried fettling with the SQL but it kept giving me push backs on the SQL.

Any ideas or solutions greatly appreciated. Even more appreciated would be a glossary on some helpful terms on the above so i could maybe search for the answer and solve it myself.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:24
A description of what you have leaves a lot of questions to ask for clarification. provide some example data and the outcome required from that sample data - and use your real field and table names, not 'simplified' ones

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:24
hi PNEfinney,

taking a guess since you didn't post an example of what you have and what you want

on the grid, you can try something like this:

Field --> MyNewfieldname: Table1.Code & Table1.HolidayEntitlement
Criteria --> Table2.BaseDataCode

Field --> Table2.entitlement

and whatever else you want to show.

The tables would not have a link line -- criteria on the grid synchronizes them.

You can actually edit the SQL to make the concatenated fields join to the one that has the values combined, but then you can't use the grid design view anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom