List Box - line wrap - Flex Grid - subform set to datasheet view (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 05:12
After searching the forum and web, there does not seem to be a good solution, so here goes:

A comment form has a List Box. Highlight the list item and the long details (an overkill memo field) appears in the Text box with all the line wrap.

The customer wants the memo List Box to line wrap so they don't have to click on it to see the details.

These are suggestions:
Turn on Tool Tip - they can hover over.
Rating: not at all what they requested, but sounds simple, affordable solution.
(Anyone have implementation code to suggest?)

Flex Grid Control - set to expand all
Rating: Sounds intense and still not sure yet if it will autowrap
Note: http://www.securiteam.com/windowsntfocus/6D00G15NFQ.html
Memory leak that may or may not be fixed with patches

Use subform to datasheet view, it will look like a grid
Rating: Have used that, wonder if someone has an Auto Expand example
- Some comments are 1 line, other might be 5 lines long

Break up Field using SQL - create virtual multiple lines - click on any to select
found several people suggesting it might work in theory, like Bigfoot or North Dakota - no actual proof existence

Any suggestions or demo links would be greatly appreciated by me and evidently many other people.

Attachments

• Basic Layout.png
    Basic Layout.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 348

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Implemented Custom Tool Tip that shows up for each line on a listbox
Note how the data line does not have to receive the focus to get a tool tip.

It was a little tricky to implement. Not completely happy with it popping up when on empty space.

Looks like it is limited to about 255 characters - may actually need more due to a Memo field.

Found Code at:
http://www.lebans.com/tooltip.htm

Attachments

• Custom Tool Tip for each line on list box.png
    Custom Tool Tip for each line on list box.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 320

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
This is my conclusion for a Sub Form using Data Sheet view.
Trying to have word wrap won't really work if one row is short and the next one is long:

A datasheet row has all boxes the same height. Making the height of the row taller then the text in the note field WILL wrap, but short notes will
also have that same height for all of the other fields and you will have to
choose one height for all rows.

With a continuous subform that is not in datasheet view you can at least have a multi-line note TextBox without having a multi-line TextBox for the other fields, but you still have to pick those heights and they will apply to all rows.

It appears that it is a one size fits all, instead of having one row's height short, and the next one taller.

mebaria

Local time
Today, 14:12
Can you please post some links about bound list boxes? That's what my problem is, bound list box that does not store records in the right place. I will appreciate any links that can help me solve my problem.

Thank you in advance !

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Sent you a P.M. with some sample database links from this site.
I did not see the Sample Databases right away either. There are some really excellent sample databases anyone can download and review. Once you find a demo that could be useful for your soltuion, be sure to ask for help. For anyone else looking for Sample Databases to download:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

mebaria

Local time
Today, 14:12
Thank you for the response and the links. I am reading and reviewing the databases. I responded to your message too, I think this might finally solve my problem. You are a lifesaver, if I could I would kiss you but that might be against the rules of programming !! Again thank you so much for the links.

Mebaria

RachelGarrett

Local time
Today, 06:12
Sent you a P.M. with some sample database links from this site.
I did not see the Sample Databases right away either. There are some really excellent sample databases anyone can download and review. Once you find a demo that could be useful for your soltuion, be sure to ask for help. For anyone else looking for Sample Databases to download: <I'm not allowed to post links yet, had to remove it>

I reviewed the eleven pages of database sample titles, but none immediately popped out at me. Will you please tell me which sample databases might assist me with the height-expansion issue?

Thanks,
Rachel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom