Live to work? or Work to live? (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 04:20
What do you do? Work to live or live to work?

I can tell that some here would appear to only think of work and have no outside life.
Do you commute? How far? or are you one of these skivers who "work from home"?

Enjoy your job?, What would you really like to do as a job?
Do you just turn up at work and do as little as possible or do you creep round the bosses to give the impression you are fab?

Me? I gave it up, couldn't see the point really. Didn't need the money so why bother?

Do you dread monday mornings? Do you take a fag break as often as you can? or do you slave away diligently 9 till 5 and work through lunch like a prat, thinking you actually make a difference.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Poor old Col,
like a pal of mine he obviously didn't enjoy his work.

I basically worked to live, I have a modest life style and therefore had no need to climb higher up the greasy pole than I did, but at that level I enjoyed my work.

Many people enjoy the challenge of their work and thus appear to be those that Col apparently despises, others hate it or have so many outside interests that they do not pull their weight at work, a correct balance is better.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Poor old Col,
like a pal of mine he obviously didn't enjoy his work.

Not quite right Bri. I did enjoy my work, I did many years (37) in the NHS and felt I had done some good along the way.
The last 18 months wasn't good as I had been writing access databases for some years and many of my creations are still in use, but management decided that I should stop doing that and put me in charge of a Risk Management system I didn't want to be part of, that's when I decided to hang up my mouse.

I did work to live, but like many in the NHS I did loads of unpaid overtime in order to keep things on an even keel - it was my choice to do it and I enjoyed it.

I think overall, I made good moves career wise and salary wise, now I (like you) can sit in the sun eating a mini magnum and drinking tea with no worries about going to work.

Plus - as an added attraction and financial income, we have 2 teenage French girls staying with us next week - can it get better?. . . . . Ahhhh, life is so hard.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 23:20
Plus - as an added attraction and financial income, we have 2 teenage French girls staying with us next week - can it get better?. . . . . Ahhhh, life is so hard.

Col

:eek:

It's too bad they don't know how to use a razor. :D (Hey, I can have a laugh with the stereotypes as much as anyone else on here.)

I work to live at the moment. I do enjoy my job. I'm also using my job so I can go to school nearly free and eventually start my own businesses. Then, I'll really be doing something I enjoy. I actually have a couple of business ideas I hope to pan out eventually.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:20
I work to live. I have a government position which pays most of the bills. Cannot hardly say I commute (live about 1.5 from work). Most of the time I ride my bike or walk.

The job is okay. Many times I am asked to do a task without much direction or goal. In the past nine months I have been tasked to learn as much as possible about Xcelsius and create dashboard for my CIO, but not much has been outlined on what KPI's the CIO wants and how to display them. Also my boss whats Xcelsius to do things that is not capable of. So now I have an dashboard (with a number of layers) that is not very cohesive, but displays some useful data (so I rant).

I have thought about changing jobs, but it would require me to move to a larger city (ugh!) and in this econony, I would be stressed about being laid off (getting too old for that nosense).

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
:eek:

It's too bad they don't know how to use a razor. :D (Hey, I can have a laugh with the stereotypes as much as anyone else on here.)

Coincidentally, I was in Spain last week, your stereotype is not that far from reality. Our French girls are teenage, so I expect they use the razor a little more than 30 - 40 year old Spanish women.

I work to live at the moment. I do enjoy my job. I'm also using my job so I can go to school nearly free and eventually start my own businesses. Then, I'll really be doing something I enjoy. I actually have a couple of business ideas I hope to pan out eventually.

Good luck with those, I did a couple of business ideas some years ago and that worked out ok financially.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I forgot that most Americans will think of a gun. It is actually an ice-lolly (? ice-pop in the USA?)

It has ice-cream in the middle with a chocolate coating on the outside, very nice.

Col

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I forgot that most Americans will think of a gun. It is actually an ice-lolly (? ice-pop in the USA?)

It has ice-cream in the middle with a chocolate coating on the outside, very nice.

Col
Haagen Dazs makes a passable Ice Cream Bar, or you could say Ice Cream Stick.

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I've been a "work at home skiver" for the past seven years. During this time I've realized what a "work through lunch prat" I'd been in the past.

I pay more tax; sometimes work for nothing when customers don't pay bills and don't have an accounts dept to take care of my taxes, salary, invoicing and restocking of the TP.

However I would never voluntarily go back to being an employee.

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
I've been living to work the last 5 years or so. Maybe it's time to change it up and do the skiver thing for a bit--if I can just get the money thing right...

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
My wife was sacked on Thursday - no disciplinary, no appraisal, not even an informal mention of any problems. They had her working a few hours late on the wednesday - and me changing my hours to accomodate this. Sacked on spot for no apparent reason the next day.

So doing anything beyond the strict call of duty, is a no no with me at the moment. Whats the point?

At least the sun's shining.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I've been a "work at home skiver" for the past seven years. During this time I've realized what a "work through lunch prat" I'd been in the past.

I pay more tax; sometimes work for nothing when customers don't pay bills and don't have an accounts dept to take care of my taxes, salary, invoicing and restocking of the TP.

However I would never voluntarily go back to being an employee.

Ditto, I am the old man... LOL

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:20
At the moment it feels like I'm living to work only because I'm so busy but I'm loving it cos my job rocks*, things will change soon as we'll get more resources, facilities and kit so I'll be back to work to live :)

*Who gets to do a shot for shot remake of an iconic scene from Pulp Fiction by someone who loves film? :cool:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
My wife was sacked on Thursday - no disciplinary, no appraisal, not even an informal mention of any problems. They had her working a few hours late on the wednesday - and me changing my hours to accomodate this. Sacked on spot for no apparent reason the next day.

So doing anything beyond the strict call of duty, is a no no with me at the moment. Whats the point?

At least the sun's shining.

Their procedure was incorrect if what you say is true.

Claim unfair dismissal and go through an industrial tribunal. If upheld you could get compo. and lots of it.

I remember one time when I was a manager in the NHS one of my staff wanted 3 months unpaid leave to go to Oz. I said that was not possible because of the nature of his work would be extremely difficult to cover and would put excess pressure on the rest of the staff, he took me to a tribunal - I lost, the tribunal said I was being unfair to him by thinking of the effect on the other staff and the smooth running of my department.
When he came back though, he left within 2 months as the staff made his life hell, he was then unemployed - for some strange reason he couldn't get a decent reference from me, I think he lost his house through missed payments on mortgage - how sad.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
- I lost, the tribunal said I was being unfair to him by thinking of the effect on the other staff and the smooth running of my department.
Col

Quite right too, are you trying to undermine all of the work of the Left , next thing you will be wanting to make people earn their salary, allow managers to manage and firms make a profit, good God man before you know it Britain will be paying its way, can't have that.

Brian

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
As I work to live I am pleased to say I love my work, makes the day go faster and then you can get on with life!!!!

Now, what do we do about the brattish behaviour of other members of staff????

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
As I work to live I am pleased to say I love my work, makes the day go faster and then you can get on with life!!!!

Now, what do we do about the brattish behaviour of other members of staff????

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom