Load form on startup in Access 2007 (1 Viewer)

briefy

Local time
Today, 22:03
Hello,

Sorry if this is a really dumb question - I have just started using Access and I couldn't find the answer to this doing a forum search.

I have made a database consisting of a table and a form. All I want to do is get the form to appear automatically when the database is opened. I am using Access 2007.

Many thanks,

Sammy

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:03
I have not used 2007, but in previous versions it would be in Tools/Startup.

AccessJunkie

Senior Managing Editor
Local time
1. Click the Microsoft Office Button (upper left corner)
2. Click the Access Options button in the bottom right corner of the menu that appears
3. Click the Current Database category on the left side of the Access Options dialog box
4. Under Application Options section look for the option called "Display Form." Select your form name from the combo box
5. Click Ok to close the Access Options
6. The next time you open the database your form will load on Startup

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie - MVP
http://home.bendbroadband.com/conradsystems/accessjunkie.html
Access 2007 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:33
Don't you love Microsoft's consistency between versions? :rolleyes:

Del Boy

Local time
Thanks for this, i have been using 2003 and moved to 2007 and couldnt find it anywhere.

The consistency between there versions is lame, 2007 is nothing like 2003, it harder to find anything!!

Thanks again

Local time
Thanks for this, i have been using 2003 and moved to 2007 and couldnt find it anywhere.

The consistency between there versions is lame, 2007 is nothing like 2003, it harder to find anything!!

Thanks again

I say virtually impossible.

Not to be a random slater of microsofts consistency here, how would I go about making it auto go to a new record when this action is done?

(PS for what I am doing, I'm going to attempt to make a login for my db)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You either set the form's data entry property to yes, or use DoCmd.GoToRecord in the form's load event, depending on whether you want existing records available.

Bowmap

Local time
Today, 18:03
There is also the old method of creating a macro named 'AutoExec'. That would give you greater flexibility in that not only a desired form could be your first load but also a function (not a sub) you created. Thus you could init before having to display a form.

SpentGeezer

Pure Noobism
Local time
Tomorrow, 09:03
Just upgraded...
Now uninstalling. **** me why do they do this all the time!!!!!!!!

pretoriaan1971

Local time
Dear AccessJunkie,

My question may be even more stupid then ever but i'm a complete newbie. How can I undo these actions ?

AccessJunkie

Senior Managing Editor
Local time
Hi,

My question may be even more stupid then ever but i'm a complete newbie. How can I undo these actions ?

Are you saying you no longer want to have the startup form property set?

If so, you just clear the property. The entry point is a little different between versions, but it's essentially doing the same thing. Here are the instructions for Access 2007:

2. Click the Access Options button in the bottom right corner of the menu that appears
3. Click the Current Database category on the left side of the Access Options dialog box
4. Under Application Options section look for the option called "Display Form." Clear this option by selecting (none) from the drop down list. It will be the first option in this drop down list.
6. The next time you open the database, no startup form should load.

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Author - Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Access 2007/2010 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx
----------

LeChat

Local time
Today, 17:03
4. Under Application Options section look for the option called "Display Form." Select your form name from the combo box
6. The next time you open the database your form will load on Startup

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie - MVP

This is great! :) Thank you so much. So simple, once you know. This is a great resource. I hope to eventually be of assistance to others. Thanks again....

inklady

Registered User.
Local time
How do you stop a form from running automatically when you start access?.. I'm using Access 2003.. I'm new to this.. so lots of details please!!!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Temporarily or permanently? Temporarily you can try holding down the shift key as Access starts. Permanently, it's either in Tools/Startup or there's a macro named autoexec running that opens it.

r.harrison

It'll be fine (I think!)
Local time
Another option is to hold down the Shift Key while opening the database.

This bypasses the startup form, re-instates the nav bar and all context menus (If you had disabled them).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That's "another" option?

Dairy Farmer

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:03
To set any form as startup the next time you open the database:
Code:
CurrentDb().Properties("StartupForm") = "TheNameOfYouFormGoesHere"

I have the following on my "Main" form. When ComboBox is changed the following Function is called:
Code:
Function StartupForm()
    Select Case Forms!FormMain!ComboBox
        Case 1
            CurrentDb().Properties("StartupForm") = "Form1"
        Case 2
            CurrentDb().Properties("StartupForm") = "Form2"
        Case 3
            CurrentDb().Properties("StartupForm") = "Form3"
'and so on
    End Select
End Function

xauso09

Local time
Reply to AccessJunckie
Thank you very for proving the instruction in a such complete, detail form. I was having the same problem about getting the form to open automatic when I access the database until I saw your answer.
Thanks.

aksilentsoldier

Local time
Today, 16:03
I am having a slightly different issue, I currently get a form the shows on start up, but I only want a particular table to show at start up, there are no macros, the tables are not an option in the field "Display form:" under current database of access options. I tried to look into the code specified earlier, but as I am still a novice on Access, I don't know where to input the code.

Just so you have all the info, I am simply using a downloaded "asset template" from Microsoft office templates. the "Asset list" form is the one I don't want showing up at startup, instead I need the "Assets" Table to open at start up.

Thanks for some help.

(Changing layouts and stuff is fine, if they would make them more intuitive rather than unobtrusive)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For starters, most of us never let users see queries or tables, just forms and reports. You have little control over what they do in a table. I'd create a form based on your table and open that.

That said, if you still want to do it, take the startup form out and create a macro named "autoexec". That macro will run when the db is opened, so you can open your table from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom