Long Shots: Making image handling easier for users (1 Viewer)

InstructionWhich7142

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:10
In Access 2010 (split Front end and back end) I've got a continuous form where images are displayed on each record based on a file path field in the table,

Currently users do SHIFT + Copy as Path - paste (and I remove the double quotes)

Ideally they could:

Drag and Drop files from windows explorer windows,

Copy and Paste image files through windows

Screenshot(Snipping Tool/Snip & Sketch) and Paste images from the clipboard,

What methods are there for implementing these features within Access? what References would I need to add and would these be compatible with new versions of Access we'll need to upgrade to (VBA 7?) next year,

Thanks

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:10
Implementing this maybe isn't for the faint of heart, but I remember this article and utilized the approach here years ago
The idea is you drag and drop, and the program picks up the file path, if I remember correctly. Your code can then do what it likes with that file path.

InstructionWhich7142

Registered User.
Local time
"Bound object frame"'s seem to do what I want, but I'd then need to save what's in there to a file path I specify in VBA and then update that path into my table

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:10
A bit more 'mechanical' but there is the file dialog?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:10
snipping tools... leave it to ms paint or similar. this program do their best. in oder words dnritw.

InstructionWhich7142

Registered User.
Local time
Yea I've done FileDialog with late binding which I'm happy with, hopefully users will just deal with the small amount of admin of having to save it to pictures or documents etc before attaching,

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
It probably won't be long before your db reaches max size and you will have to deal with the fact that you chose to store an attachment for every record in an Access table(s) instead of the attachment file path.

InstructionWhich7142

Registered User.
Local time
It probably won't be long before your db reaches max size and you will have to deal with the fact that you chose to store an attachment for every record in an Access table(s) instead of the attachment file path.

Sorry if I was ambiguous, I wanted users to paste the image/location into the form to then save it to a directory and use that path in a table, I don't plan on putting the actual files into Access, that sounds bad! Path's all the way

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry, you weren't ambiguous really now that I reviewed. It was the drag and drop + bound object frame comments that threw me. You'd only use a bound frame if the attachment was in the table. Then again, an image control would be more suitable for most images, not a bound object frame.

InstructionWhich7142

Registered User.
Local time
yea i'm using an image frame to display my images,

the bound object frame just seems really cooperative with the rest of the windows UI for drag drop etc etc, just doesn't seem to be possible to get a handle on the data in there to do anything with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom