Lookups... (1 Viewer)

SteveF

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:59
...are, I fully accept, the work of the devil. So what do we use instead?

My last database ran into some issues because of my clumsy/inept design and probably the biggest mistake ( among many :) ) was using lookups to reference one table from another. I want to get this one right from the beginning.

I've had a good search through the forum, really I have, and have found lots of reasons not to use lookups but not too much in regard to what to use instead. Can somebody point me right?

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:59
Table Level Lookups should be avoided at all cost, but Lookup Tables are SOP. See this sample for an example of how it works and how it can be managed.

SteveF

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the sample, I like that and can see how it's working I think. It looks to me like the tables don't reference each other, the form references them both.

What if I'm trying to reference tables directly though? If I have tbl_clients and tbl_sites, where one client may have several sites, I would have used lookups in the sites table to select the appropriate client.

What would be the alternative to lookups there? Or would that be bad design and there is a far better way to do the job?

SteveF

Registered User.
Local time
Resolved I think, forms do the looking up. No need to do it at table level.

Thanks John :)

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:59
The table reference each other through the Primary Key (PK) in the sub table which is stored in the main table as a Foreign Key (FK).

In the situation you describe, you would have a further sub table for the different sites, the Schema might look something like;

TBL_Client
ClientID (PK)
ClientName
etc...

TBL_ClientSites
SiteID (PK)
ClientID (FK)
SiteAdd
etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom