Mask vs Corona virus. Wear or Not. (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 08:25
Also, you have to consider lack of supplies at the time. I know the US was at risk of hospitals running out of supplies early on. The advice at the time was sound with that taken into consideration. Now homemade masks are rampant and the instruction has changed.

Vassago

Local time
Because people can social distance and avoid going out. Medics are at higher risk by simply doing their jobs. There can't be any disputing they are clearly at the highest risk.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:25
What CURRENT advice should we not follow?
Should I always follow the current advice of medical experts, even though their "current" advice back in April was not to wear a mask, while my advice back then was to wear them?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Also, you have to consider lack of supplies at the time. I know the US was at risk of hospitals running out of supplies early on. The advice at the time was sound with that taken into consideration. Now homemade masks are rampant and the instruction has changed.
So their advice was that they can reduce transmission but save them for the medics? Are you sure about that?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:25
we made a personal decision based not only on Covid safety, but all of our other values as well.
That is the problem we face. This pandemic has forced so many changes in life styles that we begin to question whether we like what we are becoming. Even with the threat of the disease, we have to be true to ourselves as well. While I think they are short-sighted, I have to say that I understand those who object to wearing masks. People are not simple automatons. We are about as complex as you could imagine. It is hard to say when someone has "had enough" due to the virus. And sometimes we have to say "Damn the virus, full speed ahead." Trump is familiar with this and understands that life has to go on. But the USA is a place where people speak their mind (whether they have one or not...) and it is clear that the hardships are mounting.

I have no problem with anyone visiting anyone as long as they are rational about what they do. Good luck to your wife regarding that visit! I know I had to pass on this year's family reunion because of corona virus and my wife's knee surgery. If we had the chance now, we could make the trip, but this year's gathering was cancelled so it is a moot point.

Vassago

Local time
No, I'm not conceding they were wrong. I don't think they were. At the time, lack of supplies and needing to protect the healthcare workers took precedent. They overwhelmingly suggested staying home at the time until supplies could be made available. They are now.

Vassago

Local time
Are you saying we shouldn't listen to their advice because someone else might know better? Of course they are not always right, but they are the best source of information regarding protecting society from this virus. We should listen.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It should be noted that Dr. Fauci is now leaning towards a national mask mandate. I have a feeling THAT will go over like a lead balloon despite any scientific reasoning on the subject.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Because people can social distance and avoid going out. Medics are at higher risk by simply doing their jobs. There can't be any disputing they are clearly at the highest risk.
Medics are at higher risk. But that isn't anything to do with my question. My question was about whether or not masks work. The medical advice was that they are ineffective. That means ineffective for humans, whether a medic, a social worker or the unemployed. That is not sound advice since it was wrong advice.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Are you saying we shouldn't listen to their advice because someone else might know better? Of course they are not always right, but they are the best source of information regarding protecting society from this virus. We should listen.
You haven't explained how the medical community have said masks do not reduce transmission but save them for the medics. You have only said they are at higher risk. But if masks are ineffective at reducing transmission, then they are ineffective for the medics too.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
but they are the best source of information regarding protecting society from this virus. We should listen.
Which medics should we listen to? The ones like the WHO who were saying masks are ineffective, or the medics in Asia who were saying they are effective?

Vassago

Local time
Because medics needed masks to stop the spread of other diseases, same as they always wear masks for. I don't understand why that is confusing.

Vassago

Local time
I'm not going to stay and argue just for the sake of arguing. Have a good one.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Which medics should we listen to? The ones like the WHO who were saying masks are ineffective, or the medics in Asia who were saying they are effective

Jon, there is always the Yale Law of Experts - "You can take all of the experts in a particular field and ask them a question with complex elements. You can then lay them end to end and they still won't reach a conclusion."

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Because medics needed masks to stop the spread of other diseases, same as they always wear masks for. I don't understand why that is confusing.
It is very simple. You stated you should listen to the medical experts. I pointed out that they were wrong about masks back in April. See my statement below:

So you concede that their advice was wrong before and therefore you cannot always trust the advice of medical experts.

There is nothing controversial about my statement. It is obvious that they were wrong about masks back in April.

Then you argued that their advice was correct. But we all know that their advice was: "Masks are ineffective, save them for the medics."

So if they are ineffective, why do medics need them? If medics are at higher risk, why do they need the ineffective masks?

You can see now why I found what you said confusing.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Jon, there is always the Yale Law of Experts - "You can take all of the experts in a particular field and ask them a question with complex elements. You can then lay them end to end and they still won't reach a conclusion."
I often have a suspicion of experts. Take football pundits. They are supposed to be "experts", but none of them agree with one another. How many truths are true?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There are ALWAYS people going around claiming to have some "truth" but all too often, their truth is actually just an opinion.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think you have to look at these things probabilistically. What weight should you give to different opinions? What authority should you attribute towards an "expert"? If we operated within a vacuum, you might choose to listen to the top expert in the field. But we don't. There are other factors. Was it not Fauci himself who admitted they lied about how effective masks were at reducing the spread of Covid because they feared a shortage?

Vassago

Local time
They said masks are ineffective at protecting the wearer. THEY STILL SAY THAT. Since then, they have found that masks are effective in HELPING prevent spread by potentially protecting those around you. It's more of an amendment than a change.

ORIGINAL: Masks are ineffective in protecting the wearer.

NOW: Masks are ineffective in protecting the wearer. HOWEVER, they can help limit the spread by limiting the viral spray from those wearing them.

I can't make it less confusing than that.

Vassago

Local time
In his actual quote, he didn't admit he "lied." He stated that they were concerned about the lack of supplies and already "knew" it wasn't very effective at protecting the wearer. The misleading is in that they didn't take into consideration that it could help protect others from the wearer. It again goes back to what we learn as we go. It wasn't a tactical misleading, it was one with a lack of understanding.

You still haven't answered any of my questions either. What CURRENT advice shouldn't we listen to? Debating about past statements doesn't make the current guidance the best guidance to follow to not only protect the public, but also keep the economy open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom