Me.Controls.Add() method for UserForm in Access (1 Viewer)

DonkeyKong

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:35
This code works fine in Excel, but when I put it behind an Access DB it gives me a 'Run-time error '13': Type mismatch' error.

Code:
Dim ctrl as control
Dim ctrlName as string
ctrlName = "whatever"
Set ctrl = Me.Controls.Add("Forms.Label.1", ctrlName, True)

I know it doesn't like the "Forms.Label.1" but I don't know what an alternative to this would be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:35
It's pretty unusual to add controls at runtime. Typically with a normalized design the fields (columns) are static, so can be accounted for in the initial design of the form. What is the reasoning behind adding controls at runtime?

DonkeyKong

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:35
Thanks for the replies. Since posting this, I have decided to abandon it and keep the code in a .xla file.

I'll try not to talk too much... What I was trying to do was use a UserForm, not a Form. UserForms are not often used in Access but it can be done. From what I gathered, though, runtime creation of UserForm controls is not supported in Access or if it is, it's probably more work than it is worth to me.

This is supposed to be a small stand-alone utility that consists of only userforms. Basically, user runs script that launches UserForm and hides workbook/database. The UserForm uses values queried from an Access DB. There is NO Excel functionality besides the UserForms so I thought I could just put them behind the Access DB and eliminate some complexity. I have changed my mind though as it seems to be more complex to put UserForms behind Access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom