Memory situation - ipad 3 (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 12:22
I have a very old ipad3. It has a total internal memory of 12.5gb. The available memory is 0.
I have no photos or videos on it, I have no music and I have deleted apps which may be memory eaters (like card games). I looked at the apps in settings and the biggest one is 1.5gb, the few other apps are in kb, so less than a gb.
I just cannot see where 12.5gb of storage has gone, has anybody any idea what I can do to get some decent memory so the ipad doesn't keep freezing?
Please help if you can, many thanks in advance.
Col

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I had a 16gb iPad Air 2 that a upgraded 3 weeks ago. There was just not enough memory. After much deliberation, I went for a 64gb iPad 2021 model. Now the functionality of it has gone way up because I can store a ton more apps, It was £300 from Argos.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I had a 16gb iPad Air 2 that a upgraded 3 weeks ago. There was just not enough memory. After much deliberation, I went for a 64gb iPad 2021 model. Now the functionality of it has gone way up because I can store a ton more apps, It was £300 from Argos.
So are you saying its the operating system that eats the memory?
Col

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
My perception is that the OS takes up a whole chunk of memory, not leaving much room for the apps. I could be wrong but I didn't have many apps stored on my iPad, yet still kept running out of memory. It became such a pain I figured I should upgrade, but not to the current models as they are like £600. The old iPad did pretty much what I wanted, even if it was a little slow. The new one is zippier, but the thing I notice the most is that I have gone from like 4 apps to 20.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:22
First, I have no direct knowledge of the IPad, any model number. BUT I have considerable experience with operating systems. I have NEVER at any time found that O/S patches caused the O/S to get smaller. New features get added. The code for the new features doesn't often REPLACE other code; instead it SUPPLEMENTS other code. Over time, O/S footprints WILL get bigger. So something you have used for a while, something with a fixed memory size, is very likely to get consumed by the O/S as you patch it. As a hedge against Windows O/S bloat, I bumped up my system from 8 to 16 GB of RAM. Some of my games get big, and every so often when I check, I find that I am using more than 9 GB - which means that when I had only 8 GB, some of my stuff would have been swapped into virtual memory. Like I said, I don't know the IPad - but the trend on O/S operation these days is to stuff it with a bunch of little processes to allow it to swap into a secondary memory area. So I wouldn't be awfully surprised to learn that your IPad got stuffed with O/S "features."

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Thanks Jon and Doc. It seems as I suspected, the OS seems to be the culprit without leaving too much memory to run apps. (They keep freezing up). My ipad is very old, I guess it's just time to update. It has served me well.
Col

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I would consider getting the 2021. Frankly, I see little difference between the bleeding edge technology and the 2 year old stuff. In a couple of years, the bleeding edge still will also probably drop in price to £300, so you could have two iPads for the price of one: one now, one in two years!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
So do you reckon the 64G is big enough for music, photos etc? It sounds big to me compared to the ZX Spectrum!
Col

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I don't know how much music or photos you have, but your existing iPad shows you how much of your data is taken up by documents, photos etc. At least I think it does, in the settings. Then you will know for sure.

Edit: See the image in that photo with the breakdown.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Yes I'm sure it will be OK, anyway photos are stored on the icloud and music is only a few CD's. I'm going to argos tomorrow to get some prezzies so I'll have a butchers. Thanks
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 04:22
I have a very old ipad3. It has a total internal memory of 12.5gb. The available memory is 0.
I have no photos or videos on it, I have no music and I have deleted apps which may be memory eaters (like card games). I looked at the apps in settings and the biggest one is 1.5gb, the few other apps are in kb, so less than a gb.
I just cannot see where 12.5gb of storage has gone, has anybody any idea what I can do to get some decent memory so the ipad doesn't keep freezing?
Please help if you can, many thanks in advance.
Col

i'm sure they share the same characteristics as android (and indeed, desktop computers) wherein the residual storage effect of all-things-done, but particular installed-and-used-applications, is forever - at least partly.

you can
1- install an app
2- use the app for a few months
3- uninstall the app
and if you did that 100 times, you'd see your storage keep increasing every time, uninstallation notwithstanding. age will do this.

like when you tell your wife 'forgettaboutit', but she doesn't really forget

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom