.MER files (1 Viewer)

drisconsult

Drisconsult
Local time
Today, 13:27
I am asking all my colleagues out there again for help on Access 13 runtime files, which in the good old days were executables. Now I have a situation where after downloading the .MER file, I cannot find its location even after I have been given its location.
I need to include the runtime files on a flash drive so that teachers in very remote areas in Africa, without any Internet connection can run my application without having Microsoft Office applications on their system. HELP!!!
Terence Driscoll
London

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:27
which in the good old days were executables
Access cannot be compiled into an executable. The .accdb/.mdb file type is a container. It contains more than code and that is why no executable can be produced. The .accde is a partial compilations and the source code is removed. ANY 2013 or newer version of the runtime should work. There is software that will produce an .exe for distribution but the database is always expanded at the other end.

Download it directly to the thumb drive.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 05:27
I am asking all my colleagues out there again for help on Access 13 runtime files, which in the good old days were executables. Now I have a situation where after downloading the .MER file, I cannot find its location even after I have been given its location.
I need to include the runtime files on a flash drive so that teachers in very remote areas in Africa, without any Internet connection can run my application without having Microsoft Office applications on their system. HELP!!!
Terence Driscoll
London
This doesn't quite make sense in a couple of ways. The Access runtime (whichever version you use) is an application used to execute, but not edit, Access database files (mdb/mde, accdb/accde). I'm not sure what you mean by "...in the good old days were executables." I also don't know what you mean by .MER file, so perhaps you can expand on that as well.

To use the Access runtime, it will have to be installed on the users' computers just like any other application, including the way full Office applications would be. The accdb/accde/accdr files could be provided as you indicate, but the runtime itself will be installed on the computer.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:27
I've not come across an .MER file before, certainly not in an Access context. From what I can determine by searching, an MER file is a complied MED file created by RSView, and has something to do with controlling factory software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom