Merging two like tables from two databases (1 Viewer)

ITguy1981

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:03
I've currently come across the issue where an end user copied the database locally to their computer and has been using it for months and months. After fixing an issue in the database on the server and then finding that someone still had a database bug is how I figured this out. Anyway, what would be the best way for me to merge the table 1 from the database she was using to table 1 in the database on the server? Is there a way to export a table so I can then import the data? Like I said, the databases are identical other then the data.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:03
I presume there is more than one user entered data tables. If only one, a simple append query will add the second lot of data.

You will need to add an index field to the server destination primary table to store the primary key in the imported table. With related tables in the source, you will join the FK in the imported related data table to the added field in the destination primary table.

It's important to make clearly labelled copies of the both databases (maybe more than one copy) before starting the merge process. It's too easy to make stuff ups big time. I know from personal experience, but then I did have the backups.

ITguy1981

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the reply. Luckily, there is only one user that enters data in to the database and it seems as though she has been using this database since 2012. Typically, the names entered in to the database are only valid for a year so I think I'm going to just move the database she has been using to the server for her.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The database should be split. Each user will have his own copy of the FE that will be linked to the shared copy of the BE. The BE will be kept in a shared folder on a network drive and the FE's will be on the C: drive of each user's PC.

In addition to being best practice, this will minimize the possibility of a user creating another data island by making a copy of a monolithic database and updating his copy rather than the shared file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom