Solved Microsoft Access and Mac (1 Viewer)

zelarra821

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:10
Buenas tardes. I wanted to get your opinion.

I have a case of a friend who wants to make a database, but what he uses is a Mac laptop. He has been looking and can install Microsoft Office, but not Microsoft Access. He had told me if it was possible to do it in the cloud, but Access is not available for the cloud, or so I think, and, besides, I don't know how to do it: I suppose it will have to be done as a web page, but I have no idea . He had also looked at the possibility of using a virtual machine, Parallels, but it costs €100 every year.

Can you suggest what to do in this case, beyond buying a Windows computer?

Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:10
Buenas tardes.
Access runs ONLY on windows. it does not run on a Mac (unless you have the Windows emulator) and it does not run in the cloud. If the solution must be Access, then your friend needs either the emulator or a Windows PC. No solution will be cheaper. Creating a web app will most likely cost more than a new PC, especially if he has to pay someone to do it. But at least the new PC won't need an annual license like the Mac's emulator product. He should check though because his Mac license for Office might not allow a Windows install and it certainly won't include Access since Access is not supported by Mac OS so he may need a different O365 license also.

Mac's are designed to be very expensive. They are also designed specifically to be incompatible with Windows. The idea is to lock you into the Apple ecosystem and never let you out. Apple likes you to think that if you pay more, you get more. Great marketing on their part. This is a choice your friend made when he bought a Mac.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:10
I don't know if this helps. Let me know.

Or VirtualBox, which I believe is free. Think you need a Windows license though.

zelarra821

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:10
OK thank you very much. I'm going to pass the information on to my friend, see what he thinks. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:10
Please be careful when you do this sort of thing. If there is ANY RISK of getting the forum or our owner (Jon) in trouble by free exchange of licensed software then you must NOT try to pass it through any public part of the forum, as for example a zip file or other attachment to a public post in a public thread. That did not appear to happen here so this is merely a precautionary warning. What you do with private communication channels is not our business - but facilitation of what COULD be seen as software piracy has to be a hard "NO."

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
Today, 07:10
Please be careful when you do this sort of thing. If there is ANY RISK of getting the forum or our owner (Jon) in trouble by free exchange of licensed software then you must NOT try to pass it through any public part of the forum, as for example a zip file or other attachment to a public post in a public thread. That did not appear to happen here so this is merely a precautionary warning. What you do with private communication channels is not our business - but facilitation of what COULD be seen as software piracy has to be a hard "NO."
Yes; understood... the last think i want is to get anyone into trouble - just trying to help...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, it appears you WERE careful. That's why I said "precautionary warning."

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:10
I can provide Parallels Desktop Business Edition v18.0.1 (Lifetime License) FOC if that helps!
We do not support the exchange of pirated software on this forum. No matter what I feel about Apple's predatory pricing model, they are still entitled to be paid for the use of their software.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
By direction of site owner Jon, I have removed the posts detailing the suspicious activity that would violate Jon's guidelines - and might be interpreted as violating business guidelines as well. No action is contemplated against the participants, but be reminded that we cannot take part in any action that might be construed to infringe on a business's intellectual property rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom