Microsoft Access: Edge Browser Control is finally here :) (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:57
Most if not all of your points in the first part of your post have been covered already in this lengthy thread.
As for your questions ...

Now my questions:
  • If the final user doesn't have Edge installed, does he have to install it to correctly see any content of the new web browser control?
    • I think the answer is YES
  • If the final user doesn't have Acrobat Reader installed, does he have to install it to correctly pdf files in the new web browser control?
    • Again the answer should be YES
  • If the final user has an older version of Access (for instance 2010) can he still use my database with the new web browser control?
    • I really don't know
  • If the final user doesn' have Access at all, but I could give (download) him the Access Runtime, will he be able to use my database with the new web browser control?
    • I really don't know. And which version?
Thanks for the attention,
Lauro

1. No - Edge does NOT need to be installed
2. No - to Acrobat Reader as well
3. No - the Edge browser control only appears in A365. In older versions, there will be a blank space in place of the control
4. Yes - If the A365 runtime version has a build following the official release of the new Edge browser control - otherwise No

lauro

Local time
Today, 05:57
Most if not all of your points in the first part of your post have been covered already in this lengthy thread.
As for your questions ...

1. No - Edge does NOT need to be installed
2. No - to Acrobat Reader as well
3. No - the Edge browser control only appears in A365. In older versions, there will be a blank space in place of the control
4. Yes - If the A365 runtime version has a build following the official release of the new Edge browser control - otherwise No
Thanks for the answer!
So I have to hope that Microsoft will soon release a new build of the A365 runtime.
Following your experience when that could it happen? Few or several months?
Thank again, Lauro

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'll alert @JoeJimenezMicrosoft about the runtime issue as well but have you checked whether or not its already available in the 365 runtime?

Local time
Hi Joe, thank you for your prompt response and checking. I am using a fairly straightforward script, as below. This script is working well for users on the current channel. but return timeout error for Insider build Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2306 Build 16.0.16505.20000) 64-bit, no matter what I try, the return result is the timeout message: RetrieveJavascriptValue timed out. Please verify the JavaScript expression supplied is valid.

Javascript Expression:
Me.txtHTML = Me.EdgeBrowser1.RetrieveJavascriptValue("document.getElementsByTagName('table')[0].innerHTML")

Please let me know if you need any additional information, or have any questions.
Some code external to Access changed and resulted in RetrieveJavascriptValue breaking. I locally reverted their change, and that javascript works fine. I'll talk to the team to pull that change before it hits prod. Thanks for reporting, very helpful :)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Nor me. Suggest you download it to a machine with no Access installed and see if the Edge browser control works!

lauro

Local time
Nor me. Suggest you download it to a machine with no Access installed and see if the Edge browser control works!
Thank for the suggestion.
I tried to download and install on a Windows 8 laptop, but it tells me to upgrade to windows 10.
I think I'm going to wait. I wanted something to run also on older computer.
Thanks again, anyway, Lauro

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 21:57
If my memory is correct, Microsoft 365 will only work in Windows 10 or later.
Your memory is correct. Microsoft documentation claims Microsoft 365 only works in windows 10 and later.
But Microsoft seems to be wrong.
We have a Windows 8.1 machine that is running Microsoft 365 for the past few years (with latest updates)
We can not replace this PC because of the programs running on this machine doesn't support Windows 10.

2.png

themikesg

Local time
Today, 08:57
Has anyone been able to get the Stretch Anchoring working on the new Edge Web Browser control? When I resize the Form window or the Access app window, the browser does not resize correctly. @JoeJimenezMicrosoft

Screenshot 2023-05-31 155259.png
Screenshot 2023-05-31 155349.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Trying to do that makes no sense
You can stretch the control but not the contents of the web page as that is outside of Access and cannot be controlled by Access

Make the browser control the size you need it to be and ignore anchoring

themikesg

Local time
Then let me illustrate the issue further..
The legacy web browser control resizes the HTML content correctly with the size of the anchored control, while the new Edge web browser control does not as shown in the screenshot.

This feature is used by many of my clients, for instance a pop up form showing a Google Maps canvas that can be resized at the user’s discretion.
Screenshot 2023-05-31 162947.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just tested using my own website in both the 'modern' Edge & Legacy browser control
I can't replicate your results whether the Edge control is on the left or right

1685569667012.png

Mohsin Malik

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:57
Just tested using my own website in both the 'modern' Edge & Legacy browser control
I can't replicate your results whether the Edge control is on the left or right

View attachment 108207
Thanks @isladogs and @themikesg. I think I am able to replicate @themikesg issue. When you try to change the window size of the form the horizontal/vertical anchor property for the Edge Browser control does not seem to be working. Please see the video as a quick reference (link:
)

themikesg

Local time
Yes thank you @Mohsin Malik. Here is the issue broken down further, I am not sure why Isladogs heading content is not loading on IE for me but it is not needed for the example.

When opening 2 Access forms at smaller initial size and then expanding the forms, the new Edge Web Browser control's HTML content does not resize but you can see the control's borders do resize. While the Legacy Web Browser control's HTML content resizes correctly. I have several clients waiting on a fix for this issue before they can implement the new Web browser control. @JoeJimenezMicrosoft

"The legacy web browser control resizes the HTML content correctly with the size of the anchored control, while the new Edge web browser control does not"

Screenshot 2023-06-01 095203.png
+.png

TedSla

Local time
Fascinating dialogue. This capability breathes lots of new possibilities.

Client usability question.

With the ability to view a supplier's 'place orders' website page, could the data entered be trapped and written to the Access DB when page/form Submit button is clicked?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Quite possibly. Use the RetrieveJavascriptValue method.
For example, see the new version of my app which pulls the current geolocation from an HTML file using this approach

However, in this example, the process can be quite slow, usually taking several seconds.
It used to work far faster in the old IE control but that no longer works for this purpose

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Does anyone know when these issues will be fixed?
1) Allowing spaces in local file names,
2) Having the control in a tab (say tab 3) and updating the link. Links work but the content only briefly shows (sometimes). It doesn't show in the tab again unless a different tab is selected and then the original tab selected again.
Nope. Probably not even Microsoft has a hard target date. And if they do, they ain't telling....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom