Migrate Access DB to browser-based on local network (1 Viewer)

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:55
But in the long run, even the IT guys can "see the light" (since NOBODY likes to have the spotlight shining on them.)
So ....when I do go over his head, I'm going to need to be able to respond to this email I received from him as to what he has done incorrectly.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

THX as always!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 164

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Unlike XML, Access cannot handle JSON files natively. For that reason, I created a utility a few years ago allowing Access to work with and use the data from JSON files. If you do want to explore that option further, suggest you look at my utility as a starting point.
isladogs - I'm going to respond to you about the converter in a different post titled JSON converter for Access because it might be easier for someone else considering the same type of approach and might be easier for them to find.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:55
So ....when I do go over his head, I'm going to need to be able to respond to this email I received from him as to what he has done incorrectly.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

THX as always!
Hi. Regarding this email, send the IT person the following link and tell them to pay attention to the last paragraph under the heading: "Note for Office Click-to-Run (C2R) users:"

Also, let them know to download and install the MSI version of the Runtime.

PS. That was just the first link I found. There must be another one for a later version of the runtime.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Regarding this email, send the IT person the following link and tell them to pay attention to the last paragraph under the heading: "Note for Office Click-to-Run (C2R) users:"

Also, let them know to download and install the MSI version of the Runtime.

PS. That was just the first link I found. There must be another one for a later version of the runtime.
Thx!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:55
So yeah - if I were to show him how to install Runviewer that would - (not going to use the expletive) - make him more angry than if I go over his head with the owner.

If this IT guy has that kind of totally unhelpful attitude, your company doesn't need him. When I was with NEDC-NO and our IT guy talked about Access, I told him it was by request of a particular manager and he was free to talk to that manager to determine priorities. I worked with the guy to the point that I met about 95% of his objections about security issues. At that point, he bought in and told me I had to manage my corner of the world myself, but he wouldn't block me. The key was that he knew the project had major support from above and that there was no faster, better way to get the job done that didn't involve buying 3rd party software that would become a cost factor AND a different kind of security factor, since at that point the solution would be one not built at our office, and he would be MANDATED to run it anyway, with NO say in how it was operated. The writing was on the wall for him.

Here is your question to ponder: At what point does your job become so terribly burdensome (because of this chowderhead) that you don't want to work there anymore? You have an obligation to yourself first to be honest with your boss about why you are having trouble. This is a terrible decision to face, but the truth is that if you don't face the problem, it will sit there and chew on your toches until you don't have one any more. At what point do you go over his head? Try letting HIM go up the line about the project and find out for himself.

Ugh........scheisse (can I say that on here? lol)

Just toss your hands in the air and say, "Ach! Scheissen, nicht schiessen!" But seriously, if the built-in dirty-word filters don't give a rat's patootie then neither do we. Well, at least neither do most of us.

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Here is your question to ponder: At what point does your job become so terribly burdensome (because of this chowderhead) that you don't want to work there anymore? You have an obligation to yourself first to be honest with your boss about why you are having trouble. This is a terrible decision to face, but the truth is that if you don't face the problem, it will sit there and chew on your toches until you don't have one any more. At what point do you go over his head? Try letting HIM go up the line about the project and find out for himself.
....Much truth in those words Doc......more than I can say. :) Thank you for understanding. :)
Just toss your hands in the air and say, "Ach! Scheissen, nicht schiessen!" But seriously, if the built-in dirty-word filters don't give a rat's patootie then neither do we. Well, at least neither do most of us.
LOL

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:55
i don't think you can Install runtime when you already have full A2019 installed.
if you proceed it will delete your full A2019 and replaced with runtime.

i think you only install runtime on computer that does not have Access installed.
then rename your accdb/accde to accdr and put on the machine that has runtime.

arnelgp

Local time
You can install both runtime & full access on the same workstation providing these are different versions
post #21, they are different or another myth buster?
pay attention to the Warning message (don't post any disclaimer if they go ahead and follow you.)

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
You can install both runtime & full access on the same workstation providing these are different versions
Reading the articles the DBGuy attached above, I am reading that it comes down to Windows installer and Click-To-Run installer.

This link is pretty clear and direct: Click to Run and Windows installer

Some of the users here are Click-to-Run and the IT person is loathe to change that to accommodate Access.

arnelgp

Local time
i think Click-to-run includes a365 and a2019.
this is standard installer now for office.

Edit: also my 2021 office is also Click-To-Run.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:55
Point accepted regarding MSI vs C2R installations ...so it may well not be possible in this case.

However, as the link supplied in post #29 clearly shows, mixed bitness installations are also not supported but can still be done in certain circumstances

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
i think Click-to-run includes a365 and a2019.
this is standard installer now for office.

Edit: also my 2021 office is also Click-To-Run.
Thanks. I'll ask the IT guy if he is aware of this.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Re mixed bitnesses....
Just because you can ... doesn't mean you should ...unless you have a good reason for doing so

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
This link is pretty clear and direct: Click to Run and Windows installer

Just thinking about this some more....
Although the link states the MSI & C2R cannot be used on the same workstation that doesn't seem to fit the results I found when testing mixed bitness installations in the thread I linked earlier 64-bit and 32-bit on the same machine.

These are the results I showed in that thread

1646947104827.png

In particular, look at the 3 results marked with a RED splodge on the left
AFAIK, 365 is always C2R and both 2010 & 2013 are always MSI. However both were successful dual installations

I also did several tests where I installed 3 or more versions included 365 (64-bit) + 2010, 2013 Runtime and 2003 (all 32-bit)
For many years, I've also had a dual install of 2010 & 365 (both 32-bit) on my main workstation. So once again MSI & c2R.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the IT person who is most definitely anti-Access though I don't know why
If you read the negative articles about "Access" and you actually know what "Access" IS (it is NOT a database engine) then the problem is clear. All the negativity is about Jet and ACE and none of it has anything to do with the RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool that we call Access. They compare "Access" to SQL Server and other relational databases and my response to that is, when did SQL Server become an application development product? Last I heard it was only a database engine. Jet and ACE are desktop database engines. They are not intended to handle huge amounts of data or huge numbers of concurrent users. Access, the RAD tool, needs Jet/ACE to hold its objects but it does NOT need them to hold the data for the application so, Access can support any database your RDBMS supports and can support any number of concurrent users as long as you have seat licenses to support them. So, we're talking millions of rows and thousands of concurrent users.

That is not to say you would want to do this, but you could. Access is a data-centric RAD tool. It doesn't do web pages. It doesn't do games. It does data entry and reporting and analysis. What Access does is limited but it does what it does better than any other tool on the market. Where Access is weak is when your project is large enough that you need multiple developers working as a team. This is impossible without source control and very difficult with a source control tool. So, that is where I would draw a hard line. If the project is so big you need multiple developers, choose a different platform.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
PMFJI:

As Pat pointed out, Access is almost totally unique among development tools.

All relational database applications require:

A Data Tier: This is the database engine with tables to store data
An Interface Tier: These are the screens through which users interact with that data. This includes forms and reports.
A Logic Tier: This is the code that manages both the data and the interface.

In Access you find all three components, not just a database engine. The one in Access is called ACE.
However, Access files also include both interface and logic and that differentiates Access from all other database engines. Moreover, the existence of the ACE database engine differentiates Access from all other development tools.

When one wants to replace Access, one has to find tools to handle all three of those tiers in some way. SQL Server and .Net development languages, or MySQL and PhP or whatever other combination of tools you happen to feel comfortable with and can master to achieve the result.

It is also true that Access can use many other data storage engines in addition to ACE. And, while that in itself is not unique, it means that for many projects which exceed the limitations Pat noted, you are not forced to abandon the RAD capabilities of Access in order to use those other database engines.

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
All (and thank you very, very much for all of the info) - again - I have two different sets of circumstances playing out.

1) I work for a company that is not very forward thinking which wears on me personally and
2) Our IT person is a product of that company culture.

I'll be blunt.
1) I love Access because, yes, I know I get all tiers of development in one very, easy to use package. I love Access. It does the job here just fine with ease.
2) I'm looking for an exit-strategy from my current employment and buffing up my abilities (and considering that I do already have some minor experience with JS, HTML and databases) wouldn't be a negative I don't believe.
...and 3) (and I hope this makes everybody smile)....I met a wonderful woman who happens to live very remotely at 8400 feet in Colorado and I'm looking to do some remote work at any level (pardon the almost-pun). Fortunately, while other services are limited up there - she does have excellent internet. LOL

So....there ya go. Thus all my questions.

Happy Tuesday!

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom