Mobile Application Development With Login restrictions based on user Level. (1 Viewer)

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:33
Hello Guys,
Happy New Year to all.

I need a few suggestion and guidelines as per Mobile Application Development.
I want to develop a Mobile Application that will be shared for Installation to perform certain Organizational task. I am quite new to this type of project, in fact I have not done any of such, first time, but already trying to figuring out how to go about it.

The Application will be running on Mobile Devices and possible some PCs version of same. Now, each user is expected to perform different task through this Application and their Logins will be based on what task to be performed. In essence, when an individual logs in and completed his own task, the next person whos task is the next should be able to view what task is completed and proceed from there. This chain continues till completion, and another user-level will be able to view reports of these activities.

This pretty looks like having a Backend Database sitting on a Server and the front ends distributed among users (Mobile Devices). I already set up an IDE of VS and Node.js for this

Please can you figure out what best approach as to the following:
- If this will require an SQL database sitting on a server and if not how do I establish these level of interactions among the users
- Best language to use, I already thought of JavaScript
- PC and Mobile devices version

I will really appreciate contributions.

Regards
Michael

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:33
All I can suggest is that Access will be out of that picture. Mobile devices (handhelds and tablets) are not going to work so well with backend Access databases. Having not had to do this at my last place of employment, I can only guess that you will need something like an SQL backend server and a web-based front-end interface. And since that takes me out of my comfort zone, I will have to defer to other members. Sorry that all I can do is tell you what probably WON'T work.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:33
If you want to stick with Access as your development tool I suggest investigate using terminal server or citrix. Apps can then be run from any device that supports remote desktop - windows/linux/iOS for example. Not used them but you can download a RD app for the iPhone, don't know about other phone types but looks like you can for chrome devices as well.

each user has their own domain on the terminal/citrix server (equivalent to a local drive) which they log in to via remote desktop and the back end db (could be access, could be sql server or another rdbms) also on the server. The only information passed over the internet is keypresses/mouse moves one way and screen refreshes the other. So performance will be almost as good as if a user has the front and back end on their local machine. It also solves the problem of wireless connections (particularly from tablets) dropping and potentially causing corruption since everything is run on the server.

Each user domain would need an access license (or use the free runtime version) and of course there would be a license fee (per user or a number of users) for using the server.

Main thing to watch out for is form size - design for the smallest screen. The remote desktop window of the virtual screen may be smaller than the virtual screen and access can only determine the size of the virtual screen, not the window or the users actual screen size.

adewale4favour

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:33
If you want to stick with Access as your development tool I suggest investigate using terminal server or citrix. Apps can then be run from any device that supports remote desktop - windows/linux/iOS for example. Not used them but you can download a RD app for the iPhone, don't know about other phone types but looks like you can for chrome devices as well.

each user has their own domain on the terminal/citrix server (equivalent to a local drive) which they log in to via remote desktop and the back end db (could be access, could be sql server or another rdbms) also on the server. The only information passed over the internet is keypresses/mouse moves one way and screen refreshes the other. So performance will be almost as good as if a user has the front and back end on their local machine. It also solves the problem of wireless connections (particularly from tablets) dropping and potentially causing corruption since everything is run on the server.

Each user domain would need an access license (or use the free runtime version) and of course there would be a license fee (per user or a number of users) for using the server.

Main thing to watch out for is form size - design for the smallest screen. The remote desktop window of the virtual screen may be smaller than the virtual screen and access can only determine the size of the virtual screen, not the window or the users actual screen size.
thanks CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom