Modernizing the Access User Experience (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 12:56
That is true.
In my brother's company (probably considered a mid-size business, though they have multiple manufacturing facilities around the world). They can't (or won't) force an entire business group in another country to format their CAD data in the way so that it actually works with their PDM (Product Data Management) software they paid mega bucks precisely to standardize for interoperability.

I'm not usually the one advocating for one-size fits all business procedures. BUT, IF you decided to do this thing, AND you spent a ton of money in order to do it, WHY are you reluctant to MAKE people do it the way its supposed to be.

The same thing happens at small companies too. One company I worked for had paid for an MRP system. When they first converted they didn't fully understand it all, or tried to shoehorn their old way of doing things instead of adapting to the new way (before my time). Then, years later they want to use some of the cooler aspects of a true MRP system, they couldn't because they'd already put the wrong data in the wrong spots out of "convenience" and it was way to much time to actually fix it (at least, in one go).

Ok. We're far afield from the original thread topic now. :eek:🤪🤫

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
No one is suggesting to the contrary. I'm not sure what bee got in your bonnet, but I would suggest slightly less bombast and more figuring out what you do and do not know and the proper way of talking about it. This little tete-a-tete about mobile devices is pedantic and is missing the point entirely.

Cloud based infrastructure does not equate to mobile devices. Cellular phones were "mobile devices" long before they were upgraded to smart phone status. Tablets are still mobile devices even if they never once connect to WiFI or cellular service. Cloud based (i.e. centrally networked storage repositories accessed remotely via a network connection) have been around practically since the beginning of the computer. "Cloud based" is just a marketing buzzword that has certain modern connotations associated with it.

I work for a small company. We do not store all our company data on the cloud and our president might actually have a stroke if someone suggested we do so. I know of very few small businesses that store their company data on the cloud. Some do, certainly not all. Plus, companies that do so are willing to pay for such a system and as Pat mentioned earlier, that's the real rub. The infrastructure to run Access over the web exists (Citrix, RDS, etc) but has real costs associated with it.

My company took forever to decide to upgrade to the cloud based version of Quickbooks despite the increase in data availability/functionality. Why? Because they didn't want their data in the cloud and they didn't want to pay the subscription service fee.

So, as Pat and others have pointed out. It isn't that Access CAN'T be used over the internet, or through a web browser on a mobile device. It's that doing so requires extra layers and extra cost that goes contrary to the target audience for Access in the first place. Build the functionality directly into Access and we can go about our day.
Pedantic? Nothing like stating the obvious and missing the whole point. You guys use Quickbook on the net, and you claim you know of very few small businesses that have their data on the cloud. Have you done some empirical study of the number of project management programs that have sprung up lately, and how many hundreds of millions of users are using them?

What we are going to do is use a Citrix or RDT equivalent for the work from home crowd, for the mobile user we'll be syncing the SQLs and developing apps for mobile devises. Companies that have mobile workers need inexpensive mobile connections, semantics not withstanding.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Looking at my previous post, I guess I had a bee in MY bonnet too! Been a rough morning. Apologize for the tone! Cheers :coffee::cool:
It's OK, I was snippety in my answer before I read this. Have a good one.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:56
Phones and Mobile devices might be used to record external events - such as delivery confirmations - which then have to be fed back into the database. Providing and managing data to complete these processes is tricky.

As an example Amazon and DPD are to me seem to be the most advanced at real time processing to do stuff like this.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Phones and Mobile devices might be used to record external events - such as delivery confirmations - which then have to be fed back into the database. Providing and managing data to complete these processes is tricky.

As an example Amazon and DPD are to me seem to be the most advanced at real time processing to do stuff like this.
That is where we are with our Field Project Management software. To generate revenue we will use some thing like this:
https://www.apps4rent.com/ to host the desktop portion.

The first mobile connections will be PHP with the SQL databases doing some kind of automatic sinc. Later, we may or may not add apps.

Eventually, if this grows we'll get enough developers together to rebuild it into some kind of web based product. I've invested 20 years into this program, it does things that most of the current SAS offerings cant do. But what the competition can do is thrive in a Mobile World

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom