Module Identifier (1 Viewer)

Kif

Local time
Yesterday, 23:30
Through some unfortunate turn of events I'm in a situation where I have two identical modules with different names in a live database.

I can't delete or edit either one without kicking all the users out (attempting either gets "Microsoft Office Access can't save design changes or save to a new database object because another user has the file open...."). That's not an option right now.

However, I must make a query work that calls a function that is in both modules. Every sort of qualifier or identifier I've used (variations on Modules!Module1.FunctionName swappeing . for ! and adding and removig []) still gets the error "Ambiguous name. in query".

Any suggestions or am I stuck until the next maintenance window?

thanks in advance

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 01:30
You answered your own question. You cannot edit or delete without exclusive access to the DB.

What you can do is emulate the code the module is doing. What is it you're trying to put in the query?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:30
how do you get multiple users in a single database

you should split the form/code from the tables, (frontend/backend fe/be) so each user has their own fe and shares the be

then you dont get that problem.

--------
then you put a version number check in the code, that forces users to update to the latest version each time you release a fresh version.

a bit of work, but both important, and necessary in a multi user environment

Kif

Local time
Yesterday, 23:30
Thanks, once I bit the bullet I was able to make my original ugly non-working query into an even uglier working by replacing the vb calls.

gemma - Looks like I'm going to have to improve my slim access skills enough to properly split off the backend.

Last edited:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:30
if multiple users are sharing the same dbs, you run a higher risk of corruption.

If any processes create temporary tables you also run the possibility of users interfering with each others tables

there may well be other performance issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom