MONTHSSS (1 Viewer)

I am alive

Local time
Today, 13:08
It would help if you uploaded a copy of the Database which includes your Forms
Okay. Look at FORM5. Try saving imaginary students. StreamStudentssubform must be filled to allow you fill Termsubjectssubform. Thanks.

Attachments

• Students1.zip
    255.8 KB · Views: 41

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:08
Okay. Look at FORM5. Try saving imaginary students. StreamStudentssubform must be filled to allow you fill Termsubjectssubform. Thanks.
Hi

Your form named "FORMS" is a Main Form for entering details about a Student but the Record Source
is a query named "StudentMarksSS"

The design View of the query is shown in the attached.

Normally a Main Form is based on 1 table and not the 8 indicated in the query.

Attachments

• Main Form.jpg
    Main Form.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 41

I am alive

Local time
Jesus πŸ™„. But it is working. Assist me where necessary. Thanks in advance.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
What is the purpose of the subform for selecting the school year?

It is already populated

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:08
This diagram violates several normalization and development rules. Tables tblStream, tblGrades, and tblTerms contain a key and a value AND NOTHING ELSE. Rather than add three tables (and add three tables worth of complexity), just store the literal values rather than the IDs. Also, the relationship between tblTermStreams and tblGradeStream seems to be backwards, a many to one pointing in the wrong direction. If you are REALLY tracking multiple grade streams for a student, the many side should be on the grade stream list. As you wrote it, your grade streams govern term streams, which then has the potential of a many students to a single grade stream. I would imagine that a lot of updates involving this layout would fail because that wrong directional arrow causes confusion about which stream to update.
It is better if there was a way of populating the same TermStreamsID in another subform automatically.

No, it is better if you didn't have to do that at all because your relationships were better laid out.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Well your Subform "StreamStudentssubform" is corrupt

Note that the FK StudentID does not populate the New Record in the attached screenshot.

It should show automatically

Attachments

• ParentChild.jpg
    ParentChild.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 40

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:08
Rather than defending HOW you have done something, it might be better for you and the readers if you could tell us WHAT you are trying to do. As suspected and mentioned earlier in this thread, your concept of Normalization seems to vary with established concepts and principles.

Re-Read Doc's post 27 - it is very constructive.

Consider:
If for some reason you were pulled off your current project and this database application had to be completed by June 1, and you had to pass this to a paid consultant/developer, what would you provide regarding the:
-requirements,
-desired outputs and
-documentation to be produced.

I am alive

Local time

Note that the FK StudentID does not populate the New Record in the attached screenshot.

What makes the subform to be corrupt????? I would like to know and correct. I thought my database is working! Please assist me.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
"Corrupt" is an unfortunate state in which some part of your Access app/project is damaged and therefore unusable. I.e. broken. BUT not usually because of a badly written program, but rather due to some unfortunate action that caused an internal code, form, or report layout to be incompletely copied. Powering off the computer while Access is still running is one of the easier ways to corrupt the project. Other ways exist to corrupt a file, too many to list (and I'm sure I don't know them all anyway.)

Mike60Smart suggests that you loaded a corrupted form. The Access "Compact & Repair" operation is usually your first choice to correct this problem. ALWAYS make a copy of the original file before using the C&R since if the corruption is really bad, the C&R will fail and leave you with a useless file.

As to your request to assist you in fixing things, we ARE attempting to do that but you aren't cooperating. We are asking for information on what - at a high level - you are trying to do. Don't call on Jesus to help you (see post #23) because so far as we know, he never used Access. You will have to tell us what you were doing.

Look at it this way. If you go to a doctor and say, "I am sick. Heal me." The doctor is going to ask about quite a few things before helping you. That doctor will want symptoms, will ask about your diet, will ask for a medical history. We are no different. You keep on giving us fragments and more than one case of one word answers. You post several times saying "Assist me" - but without some idea of what you are trying to do, WE CAN'T. More precisely, we have no idea where YOU were going and therefore cannot help you get there. I don't know how else to say it. You want our help but you aren't helping us to help you. We are not mind-readers. We don't know your project or subject. YOU are the subject-matter expert. Don't expect us to help you until you tell us about your project and your problem.

I am alive

Local time
"Corrupt" is an unfortunate state in which some part of your Access app/project is damaged and therefore unusable. I.e. broken. BUT not usually because of a badly written program, but rather due to some unfortunate action that caused an internal code, form, or report layout to be incompletely copied. Powering off the computer while Access is still running is one of the easier ways to corrupt the project. Other ways exist to corrupt a file, too many to list (and I'm sure I don't know them all anyway.)

Mike60Smart suggests that you loaded a corrupted form. The Access "Compact & Repair" operation is usually your first choice to correct this problem. ALWAYS make a copy of the original file before using the C&R since if the corruption is really bad, the C&R will fail and leave you with a useless file.

As to your request to assist you in fixing things, we ARE attempting to do that but you aren't cooperating. We are asking for information on what - at a high level - you are trying to do. Don't call on Jesus to help you (see post #23) because so far as we know, he never used Access. You will have to tell us what you were doing.

Look at it this way. If you go to a doctor and say, "I am sick. Heal me." The doctor is going to ask about quite a few things before helping you. That doctor will want symptoms, will ask about your diet, will ask for a medical history. We are no different. You keep on giving us fragments and more than one case of one word answers. You post several times saying "Assist me" - but without some idea of what you are trying to do, WE CAN'T. More precisely, we have no idea where YOU were going and therefore cannot help you get there. I don't know how else to say it. You want our help but you aren't helping us to help you. We are not mind-readers. We don't know your project or subject. YOU are the subject-matter expert. Don't expect us to help you until you tell us about your project and your problem.
You have a point. Jesus Christ didn't use Ms Access on a lighter note 🀣🀣. Now having looked at the attached database, basically you must have realized I might have made some mistakes on referential integrity. I will be very grateful if you assist me in showing me how I should have had relationships. Thanks so much for your input. I am learning something.

Attachments

• Students1.zip
    255.8 KB · Views: 44

I am alive

Local time

Having looked at the attached database, is there any other way of populating StreamStudentID automatically. So as to get StreamStudentID, you have to populate TermStreamsID manually.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi
In the attached the Main Form shows the Students details and the Subform shows
the Years & Grades for that specific Student.

Attachments

• Students1.zip
    102.1 KB · Views: 40

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:08
35+ posts in and you still haven't addressed key points raised. Using Doc's wording:
We are not mind-readers. We don't know your project or subject.
YOU are the subject-matter expert. Don't expect us to help you until you tell us about your project and your problem.

I am alive

Local time
Hi
In the attached the Main Form shows the Students details and the Subform shows
the Years & Grades for that specific Student.
Thanks so much. I really don't know how to thank you but I appreciate what you have done. I know it was not an easy task but you have really really really really really assisted me. God bless you so much. Once again thank you, thank you, thank you very much. πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I will be very grateful if you assist me in showing me how I should have had relationships.

The problem isn't only about relationships. I'm not sure how many tables you have that either are not needed or that are needed in different form. If your tables are suspect, their relations are even more deeply suspect.

I have to guess. If you are doing students, grades, classes, and terms that cross multiple years, then a starting point would be

Students: StudentID (PK), Student name and other identifying stuff ONLY about the student
Class: ClassID (PK), Class name, class description, whatever else about the class but nothing about specific sessions
ClassSession: SessionID (PK), ClassID (FK), Year, anything else specific to the individual session but not the class as a whole
Grade: ClassID(FK), StudentID(FK), Grade

But in your diagram I didn't see anything about classes in your post #22 so obviously we have one of two problems. EITHER you are using another word than Class as a thing to which a grade might be associated OR your problem is not as closely related to classes as one might anticipate despite the use of "Student" and "Grade" and "specific year" concepts. I do not open unknown databases in general anyway and do not want to pick through the bones of your database like a medical examiner doing an autopsy of a corpse. I hate mysteries.

This problem can be solved FAR more easily if you would offer a description IN WORDS, not in code, of what you were trying to do and the context in which you were trying to do it. I don't know another way to ask the question.

I am alive

Local time
The problem isn't only about relationships. I'm not sure how many tables you have that either are not needed or that are needed in different form. If your tables are suspect, their relations are even more deeply suspect.

I have to guess. If you are doing students, grades, classes, and terms that cross multiple years, then a starting point would be

Students: StudentID (PK), Student name and other identifying stuff ONLY about the student
Class: ClassID (PK), Class name, class description, whatever else about the class but nothing about specific sessions
ClassSession: SessionID (PK), ClassID (FK), Year, anything else specific to the individual session but not the class as a whole
Grade: ClassID(FK), StudentID(FK), Grade

But in your diagram I didn't see anything about classes in your post #22 so obviously we have one of two problems. EITHER you are using another word than Class as a thing to which a grade might be associated OR your problem is not as closely related to classes as one might anticipate despite the use of "Student" and "Grade" and "specific year" concepts. I do not open unknown databases in general anyway and do not want to pick through the bones of your database like a medical examiner doing an autopsy of a corpse. I hate mysteries.

This problem can be solved FAR more easily if you would offer a description IN WORDS, not in code, of what you were trying to do and the context in which you were trying to do it. I don't know another way to ask the question.
Solved by @mike60smart Thanks so much πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom