Question More Relationships (1 Viewer)

Carola

Local time
Yesterday, 19:08
Hi I'm completely new to this and I'm making a database for a fishing company.
I have all companies under a table named "Companies"
Then I have a table named "BoatTrips", but there are different companies working on every trip. The fishing ground, the vessel and the carrier for example are all operated by different (or sometimes coincedentally the same) companies. I can't just connect them to "CompanyId", because it says I already have a relationship. What do I do? I have no idea haha. Thanks :)

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 12:08
To understand what is going on could you post a pic of your relationship window.

Carola

Local time
i1232.photobucket(.)com/albums/ff364/carolabrus/fakerelations.png
this is not the actual thing cause i have like 40 tables right now
but yeah say i have four companies that are all in the company table
i have to make relationships
but i cant connect more than one company from the boat trip to the companyID
sorry if its still to complicated haha

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 03:08
Google on "Normalization".. The table you have shown clearly indicates your BoatTrip table is completely not normalized.. You should not have several Columns, but they should be Row entries..

There is no relationship that exist which makes it even harder to help you out..

Sort these out.. Then we might be able to help you out.. Good Luck..

catalin.petrut

Never knowing cleric
Local time
Today, 05:08
I have a database structure suggestion. You will see it in the attached file. And i can explain my suggestion but you have to confirm that i understand your need of the database. So, you have trips on witch different companies do differnt services. Maybe one company provides the boat, another one the crew, another one the fishing grounds etc. Right?

Attachments

• Database3.accdb
    432 KB · Views: 66

RainLover

Local time
As Paul said, it is not easy to help without more information.

In your Relationship window you can select unnecessary tables and hit delete. You can get them back later by hitting show all Relationships.

Better still do this on a back up copy which you should have several of.

Carola

Local time
s1232.photobucket(.)com/user/carolabrus/media/fakerelations-1.png.html?sort=3&o=0
these are the relationships i would have liked to make but i know that is not possible
i just wonder what changes i have to make
and i also know that the way i named everything is not right but its just an example to clarify :)

RainLover

Local time
When you post an attachment it is a good idea to download it as a test to see if you did it right.

The FAQs should be of assistance to you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:08
I didn't download your sample so I don't know if this will help you but, if a table participates in more than one relationship, just add the table to the relationship window or query window a second time. The second instance will be suffixed so you can distinguish it. Draw the first join line from tblA.fld1 to tblB.fld1PK and the second from tblA.fld2 to tblB_1.fld1PK.

Adding the table doesn't duplicate it. It just gives you a way to clearly specify independent relationships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom