Moving Folders via VBA (1 Viewer)

jtgarrison85

Local time
Yesterday, 23:14
Good morning -

Within my database, I have a flag that will determine if the Project is Current or Archive.

Depending on the flag, I want to copy all files in the subdirectory from one file share to another. I want to do all of this via VBA.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:14
Hi Jeff. Welcome to AWF!

You have plenty of choices. Check ou the Name As statement or the FileCopy and Kill commands or check out the File System Object.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:14
Add to that the possibility of creating a command-line "SHELL" operation to bulk-rename files with wildcards as part of the name selection, if the names are predictable and follow a pattern.

jtgarrison85

Local time
They somewhat follow the same pattern -

The root would be the project number and then there could be numerous sub-folders underneath.

I need to be able to grab the project number and tell Access to move everything in that folder from the old location to the new location.

The easier the better. I want to be able to be in the project and tell it to move on the fly as well as be able to run a process that looks at the project close date and move everything 90+ days on the admin side (button in my admin options).

JonXL

Local time
You want to move everything from folder A to folder B?

This is easy enough. How does folder B come to exist?

jtgarrison85

Local time
Correct, including subfolders.

Then delete the source files/folders.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:14
As already suggested by the_Doc_Man using the Name statement would probably be the easiest as it does all actions in one step(create new\copy\remove old):

Cheers,

jtgarrison85

Local time
It won't work using UNCs will it?

I am trying to archive old projects. In doing so, I want to move their network attachments to another file share.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the UNC is correct, copying a folder from point A to point B will do fine. So will drive-letter:/path/ format. In fact, technically you ALWAYS use UNC because since WinNT, drive-letter is treated as an alias anyway. So a drive-letter specification gets translated internally before use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom