Moving project to another PC (1 Viewer)

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:04
I searched but can't find any clear answers. I tried to copy a database from one pc to another. This database uses .bmp pictures. In the table, I have the field, e.g., \\acer\samples\kaline201b.bmp.

After moving to the 2nd netbook named pc, do I need to change that table field to \\netbook\samples\kaline201b.bmp? The picture folder samples is right off of the C: drive on each PC. Also, is there anything else I need to change in the module on the netbook named pc such as to: .InitialFileName = "\\netbook\samples" ?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 11:04
So if the value in the field is different from the location seen by the new PC - Yes

You can do an update query on the table to update the string to the location. However warning - if other client front ends are attached to the backend their relatives paths will not be the same.

I am assuming because the path is local this is not the case and all bmp files are held locally on the client machine and the database is not 2 tier.

Google "splitting access databases" if you don't understand the reference to 2 tier.

Mark

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
I did and find/replace for the table field, but still not loading up the pic.? Nothing else in any of the coding has been replaced/changed.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 11:04
I take it you have moved the bmp files across as well?

Postscript
========
Just reread your original yes of course the bmps are across - hmm not sure

check for spelling mistakes in the new directory values or the naming of the directory you put the bmps in.

Last edited:

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
The database in original pc is in c:\users\donc\documents (windows 10), in the copied to pc, it is in c:\documents and settings\donc\documents (XP). The pictures are in c:\samples on each pc.

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
Getting it to work, but looks like on the xp pc it wants this C:\Samples\kaline4_2.bmp in the table field.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As a general rule, if you have a split database and the back end moves, all linkages to it will have to be updated.

However, if you just move the front-end, as long as you use UNC mapping (\\server\path...\file), you don't need to update the front-end. If you use drive-letter mapping then you have to use the same drive letter on the new front-end host to point to the shared back end.

Sofiella

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:04
I don't know if this might help butn have you tried putting your project on github and cloning it the other computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom