Question MS Access 2010 in Citrix Environment (1 Viewer)

jonathanchye

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:45
I have a very perplexing problem with certain users in a Citrix environment and hopefully someone could shed some light.

First a background, my databases are built using MS Access 2010 with a split FE/BE structure. The BE is stored on a network drive while the FE is copied over to the user's local documents folder. Each time the user starts the front end a fresh copy is downloaded from the server.

In Citrix I find that in the event of a network disruption the databases will stop working. Sometimes a simple recopy of the FE will resolve the problem otherwise a full log out and back in again from the Citrix session will resolve it.

However I also have situations where this doesn't help at all. When the user try to start the database it will just load an empty Access document.
Resolving this is a case of hit and miss (reboot PC or just simple waiting until it resolves itself). Although to be fair in majority of the cases users are connected using WiFi over VPN into Citrix.

It is very hard to diagnose the cause of this problem as it's sporadic and only happens on certain databases. Obviously this will risk losing user confidence in my systems.

Hopefully other developers familiar with deploring MS Access databases used in a Citrix environment could offer some pointers and best practices.

P/S: Would an Access FE with a SQL backend be more resilient?

Last edited:

James Dudden

Access VBA Developer
Local time
I've done a fair bit of work with clients on Citrix but have always kept the FE and BE on a network drive. There have been occasions when Citrix would have a blip and the drive with the database on would briefly disappear resulting in a frozen database but logging out and back in always fixed the problem.

Have you tried running the database with the FE on the network drive?

jonathanchye

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, normally a relog will help but this time it took a full reboot of his laptop. I suspect it's because he had to use the VPN as well which could've caused the issue. Obviously it looks very bad on my systems as he was saying other programs works fine so I had to try my best and explain about how sensitive Access is when the network is disrupted.

I used to have the FE on the network drive but that seem to have caused even more issues. The Citrix clients all have their profile folder on a network drive so it makes sense to copy to their local profile folder.

I was just hoping there are steps I could take to prevent or at least reduce any impact caused when Citrix decides to have a blip.

I've done a fair bit of work with clients on Citrix but have always kept the FE and BE on a network drive. There have been occasions when Citrix would have a blip and the drive with the database on would briefly disappear resulting in a frozen database but logging out and back in always fixed the problem.

Have you tried running the database with the FE on the network drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom