MS Access Communicating with BQE Core??? (1 Viewer)

diannebcgray

Local time
Today, 14:57
Hi,

I have almost no experience with API's but we have a custom database created with MS Access. I'm not well-versed in Javascript, although I've done coding and scripting. I would like to know if anybody has tried developing some kind of API communication between MS Access and BQE Core. Our database tracks our company projects, but this info then gets manually inputted into Core. Is there a way to allow Access to send information to Core? I would love some help with this, if there are any tech gurus out there who can help with the task!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Can you post a link to the API documentation for BQE Core? What is it?

diannebcgray

Local time
1660252461164.png

I couldn't actually post the link for whatever reason so here's a picture of the link.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:57
BQE core appears to be a web-based, cloud-based application. As such, it is not going to play well with Access. In the past, we have found that MOST (though not 100%) of the Cloud-based sites just don't work with an Access database front-end. Usually it is for technical reasons having to do with the difference between web-based or cloud-based apps (which BQE core seems to be) and single-system or LAN-based environments (which is where Access is happy).

API_Guy

Local time
Tomorrow, 03:27
@The_Doc_Man Are you saying that you want to set your access database as a backend to a SAAS product which I believe BQE core is. If yes, no that is not possible. Are you looking for someone who can write code for you?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No, I know it isn't possible. I was answering a @diannebcgray question by saying it usually doesn't work, and I was trying to keep it simple. There ARE loopholes that offer tenuous solutions, none of them pretty and none that I would want to trust as 100% reliable. Of course, the problem is due to protocol differences, because most Cloud sites use either FTP or HTTP (or their secure variants) for whole-file transfer, whereas Access wants SMB protocol to do partial file sharing.

But hello and welcome to the forum, @API_Guy, since the message counter says you are a new member. If you did a little bit of browsing in the forum, you'll probably figure out that I can write code if I need to.

- Richard, former Access MVP (2008)

diannebcgray

Local time
@The_Doc_Man Ok Sir! I didn't realize @diannebcgray has started the thread. So let me address @diannebcgray to understand requirements because I can provide some consultation on data transfers to QB, XERO or CORE etc.
Sure, and maybe it's not possible but this is why I'm asking. The specific example is to send parameters from a newly created project, such as a project name and number, client name, etc. to create a new project in CORE.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The "old guard" (represented by ME) says direct communication is unlikely. The usual method for this kind of data interchange is to build a "transaction file" that offers the updated data in some simple format such as .CSV or .TXT, use the SHELL function to transmit the file, and have whatever is on the other end check for the occasional update. A less likely but still possible method would involve use of the Winsock libraries to establish some kind of connection over the network in order to send records you wanted to send. From what I read in the CORE landing page, a direct connection is going to be questionable at best and impossible at worst.

BUT... I'm an old fogey. Perhaps it isn't something I know much about, but our member @API_Guy suggests that he knows something about the product. Communicate with him through the open forum if you wish (because we might learn from it 😁 ) OR you can use a "profile post" to hold a more private side conversation. Usually we are purveyors of information, but if we have to be brokers sometimes, that isn't a total buzzkill either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom