MS's nonsense protection ""enable editing"" feature - disable it (1 Viewer)

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 10:35
have I asked this before you guys? according to this, it is very simple: https://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+word+disable+enable+editing

but does that work for ALL files downloaded for life after doing that one time? and does it work for all office programs? what happens if you clear the junk out of windows using a stripper program like cCleaner? what happens if you DL office programs as stand-alone files VS. whether they come in a zip archive? in ms word, does this trust center setting change in the google link I just posted apply to all new docs created with the .NORMAL.DOT template file?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
"Trust Center" is a Registry-maintained feature. It will stay as you set it until some MS patch does away with it, or some security adjustment by an IT staff member changes the site policy to disallow this. It should not "bleed" over into another machine. Major O/S upgrades have the potential to undo it. With the exclusion of MS's intrusive patch system, this should be a permanent setting for a given machine. However, it will only be effective if the particular setting happens to be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as opposed to any other place.

neuroman9999

Local time
So if i change the trust level, does that mean the change will automatically be reflected in the key u mentioned?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE??

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Technically, that is a "Hive" title - MS's name for a section of the registry. I honestly don't know the Trust Center's specific registry path, which LOOKS like a folder until you reach the end nodes of the branching tree that it resembles.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is the hardware and software registry sub-set governing the local machine. There is also a system-related "hive" and there can be a couple of other ones as well. I understand the concept and structure of the registry, but I don't know that ANYONE could know all of the details or their meanings because nearly an infinite variety of settings could be recorded there.

However, I'll answer your direct question more specifically. If you change the Trust settings, they are recorded SOMEWHERE in the registry under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE "branch" of the files.

Sun_Force

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:35
trusted locations are user specific. So they are saved into the following locations for each product of office:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations

and

HKEY_USERS\<user's SID>\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations

neuroman9999

Local time
hey you guys, specifically @Sun_Force , take a look at the below images. there are 3 locations in the path you told me to look in. Am I to assume that if I change the trust settings ONCE in a word document, that the 2nd image would apply? it looks like that applies to templates, which would also apply to the NORMAL.DOT file, would it not? and what about the others? thanks.

0-default.jpg

1-description.jpg

2-path.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom