MultiValue Combo boxes (1 Viewer)

maverick235

Local time
Today, 17:29
Hi All,

So here's the situation:
  • I've already launched a database with front and back end that allows users to add/edit records for their tests. One of the fields is what equipment they need. Initially I had only left it as select one equipment.
  • Now I've got request to add ability to select multiple values within "Equipment Needed" field.
    • I've done this in the past, where I had made it a combobox for the field. And this combobox was connected to the "Data" table and one of the fields in the data table was "Equipment Needed" that pulled the list (lookup wizard, multiple values allowed) from a "Equipment" table.
      • This made the combo box field on the form have the ability to "check mark" the different equipment and hit the "OK" button.
  • With this previous knowledge, I decided to update the new database with this ability by replicating exactly what was done before (as described in the 2 indents above).
    • I made the appropriate changes on the "Data" table (changed the "Equipment Needed" field from short/text to lookup wizard and allow multiple values etc.
    • I converted the list box on the Form to a combobox accordingly
    • Now the combobox works:
      • When you hit the drop down, the list comes up and you can "check off" as many equipment you need.
      • However, nothing gets updated when you hit "OK". In fact, after hitting "OK" nothing happens, the combobox drop down doesn't roll back up (as it used to previously). I feel like I'm missing something real simple here.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:29
Hi. Sounds like there may be something wrong with your file? Can you test it using a new blank database? Just create the basic objects you need to see if you can duplicate the problem.

On a different note, using MVFs (multiple choice combobox) is not recommended anyway. So, if you can't fix this, maybe you could just consider doing it the "normal" way. Just a thought...

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
The normal way being a multi select listbox I suppose...
I agree - ditch the multi value field(s). These were initially added to Access to support SharePoint. Outside of that, it's likely that no regular contributor here would ever use them unless directed to do so.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:29
maybe you can delete the old combobox and add new combo, instead of converting the list to combo.

maverick235

Local time
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
- I've tried deleting the old combobox and adding a new combobox -> did not work
- I tried doing a blank form, brand new "temporary" database with just the fields I care about for this purpose. Same result.

If the suggestion is to not use the multi value combobox, what is the recommended way to have the ability for the user to select multiple values and have them stored in the database as such.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
- I've tried deleting the old combobox and adding a new combobox -> did not work
- I tried doing a blank form, brand new "temporary" database with just the fields I care about for this purpose. Same result.

If the suggestion is to not use the multi value combobox, what is the recommended way to have the ability for the user to select multiple values and have them stored in the database as such.
Hi. Can you post a demo version of your db showing what's not working? To replace a MVF with a properly normalized structure, you would create a child table for the multiple selections. You can then use a multi-select listbox or a subform to allow the user to select multiple items for the current record.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
To replace a MVF with a properly normalized structure, you would create a child table for the multiple selections.
I would kind of caveat that to read
To replace a MVF with an understandable and visible properly normalized structure, you would create a child table for the multiple selections.
An MVF is actually normalized, you just cannot see it because everything happens behind the curtain. So even if you understand it, they can be damn confusing. Building your own takes some work, but at least you can see what is going on.
If you would like to roll your own, I tried to make a reusable control that mimics this. It is OK not great, but still requires sufficient customization.
As I said, it is still a lot easier than rolling your own.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I would kind of caveat that to read

An MVF is actually normalized, you just cannot see it because everything happens behind the curtain. So even if you understand it, they can be damn confusing. Building your own takes some work, but at least you can see what is going on.
If you would like to roll your own, I tried to make a reusable control that mimics this. It is OK not great, but still requires sufficient customization.
As I said, it is still a lot easier than rolling your own.
Hi MajP. I haven't looked at your recent demo, but if you get a chance, maybe you could check this one out and let us know what you think. If you can't download it, please let me know, and I'll try to help. I think you're in the best position to evaluate it and give us your honest opinion. Thanks!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:29
There's an excellent video by "Takeshi K" - "Access2010 MultiValued ComboBox"

Access2010 MultiValued ComboBox

on multi value Fields (combo boxes)

Also at the bottom of my "Nifty Access" web-page on multi value Fields, there are some useful links:- Multi Value Fields Links

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom