mutual disrespect (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:14
It was a joke Paul period but then again I'm not surprised I got a response like this but I didn't think it would come from you considering that you're not very political and pretty easy going
Adam, what have I told you about jokes when they have bite to them? I have told you that your posts are disrespectful. I have been avoiding tit-for-tat responses because despite Jon's reference to game theory, I think in your case it is inappropriate.

What really worries me is that I might have become numb to your style, and in so doing have been presenting a bad example of a moderator to others. Your joking style (with lots of teeth in the joke) is not appreciated. You have been banned for disrespect before, but I've been trying to turn the other cheek. Yet eventually, I will have to again take action. You keep on asking what it is that you do that causes trouble. But you have seen the posts from others. You either won't admit that you know what is the problem, or you are mentally stultified enough to really NOT know the problem. If the former, you prove yourself to be a worthless troll. If the latter, then your claims of being smart are being disproved.

I will make it clear. There is a difference between presuming that you can jokingly call someone a name and being TOLD that you may use a name. I gave you permission to use Richard and that stands. I had to warn you about "grandpa" and I'm waiting. And that little "b u d d y b o y" comment was right on the ragged edge. But I'm narrowing the boundaries because you are too disruptive for whatever reason.

What you do on your own time is fine, but what you do in public on this forum is not always so fine because here, you interact with people. When you do so in a disrespectful way, that is not good for the forum.

"Respect" doesn't mean "sir" or "madam" in every sentence and it surely does not need to be strictly conformant to the rules of the Queen's English. But uninvited familiarity is disrespectful. Disparagement of members is disrespectful. Disagreement on technical issues? No problem as long as there is a basis for the disagreement. But disparagement of members is argumentum ad hominem, a major logical fallacy that says, in effect, "I can't attack the message so I'll attack the messenger." Commonplace in politics. Here? Not so much.

neuroman9999

Local time
But I know you feel that everybody else is wrong and you're right.
U KNOW?? LOL. wrong sir. Haven't u been following the conversation between Richard and i? If u were, you would have seen proof of this.

neuroman9999

Local time
Your post is well noted Richard. However, i do NOT ATTACK. is that what it looks like im doing??? Curious of ur answer....

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Uninvited familiarity is seen by some as a verbal attack.

neuroman9999

Local time
Uninvited familiarity is seen by some as a verbal attack.
Thats exactly what needs to change around here. And if it did you might see my participation be well received by many others here not to mention the fact that the place might Garner a lot more traffic just like the Excel form does because of my presence there. And no I'm not blowing my own horn Richard I'm essentially telling you what has happened on that other forum that I'm talking about and there's evidence that I can show you about that but since I don't blow my own horn I won't do that. May I just say that I've gotten actual work and business opportunities to make money on that other forum simply based on the intelligent answers I've given and I didn't even ask for it just like I didn't ask Elena to pay me to help her.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thats exactly what needs to change around here.
Yep. Your attitude needs to change.

Uninvited or forced familiarity is actually something that in government circles would be grounds for you to be "counseled" - or fired. In an era that contains the "Me Too" and "BLM" movements, treating someone with unexpected familiarity is seen as playing down their importance, to make it seem that YOU somehow feel that you are better than them even if you have not met and worked with that person.

Remember what I said about trust being earned, and respect being earned? Friendship is another thing that must be earned. This is not the day of the "Press the 'Friend' button to become friends with member XYZ." Just because you called me "grandpa" didn't mean I wanted you to. Just because you called me "b u d d y b o y" didn't mean I wanted you to. I did indeed give permission to use "Richard" and am not revoking that. But you need to see that your playful view is not always right.

I could give you anecdotal examples, but I wish to avoid another well of text. Therefore, I'll end it here.

vhung

Local time
Today, 10:14
Good day
>thus AWF has set standard on forum behaviour
>how could we judge that my post or from any member is not applicable to this forum
>if this forum made for msaccess and other related talks on questions and answers
then is mutual respect observe by new and old members
>or AWF has to be destoryed in this disagreement behaviours of members
>hope peace and true respect to every post in sincerity be honored

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@vhung - we are working on the issue that you noted.

or AWF has to be destoryed in this disagreement behaviours of members

We wish to avoid that as much as possible, but when a member persists in behavior that is disrespectful to others - in specific or in general - we run into the problem of what to do in an age where even a ban can be thwarted because of DHCP and IPV6 connection issues that involve network address translation outside of the server that hosts AWF. It makes identification of miscreants very difficult. Thank you for your kind words that help us remember why we are here.

neuroman9999

Local time
we run into the problem of what to do in an age where even a ban can be thwarted because of DHCP and IPV6 connection issues that involve network address translation outside of the server that hosts AWF.
what does the ipv6 protocol, and even introduction a while back, have to do with anything. I don't understand what you're saying. why is it even relevant other than being a massive pool of other ip address possibilities?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
IPV6 has to be NAT'd to IPV4 for most forum members because of the way their ISP-provided modems work with an in-house 32-bit class D network. So addresses have limited meaning in an NAT world.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I don't mean any disrespect or telling anyone how to do theirs jobs by this post, of course. But just ... I mean, spammers get banned on an as-needed, on-demand basis. Sure he's come back a few times, couldn't we just ban each one? Ya have to admit it would be less effort than all the rest! :)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 13:14
I did ban his username. I just don't like the idea of banning IPs as pretty much have to ban a range of IPs and end up banning others nearby. And of course, he can use a VPN.

Hey Jon, how about getting a VPN blocker? They are actually pretty good at keeping out those who you ban. They even block Tor.

vhung

Local time
Thank you for your kind words that help us remember why we are here.
Doc is it possible if through this lines of sentence like "wtf" then if i click the Post reply button, simply there would be a prompt note saying that sample message "Sorry your message is unabled to process, please avoid using disrespectful terminology."
>or any other way which answer this manner rather than banning an account everyday...

Sun_Force

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:14
They even block Tor.

Why you should want to block Tor? I use Tor and I don't harm you. Using Tor is not a crime. If you're studying computer science, the very first thing you're asked to do is to stop using major browsers and change to Tor.
It's just like saying : students, don't come here.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 13:14
To block trolls who attempt to mask their IP to overcome IP bans.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@vhung - unfortunately I am not initimately familiar with that aspect of the forum software. I suppose your suggestion is possible in theory, but in practice it is unlikely to occur.

Our site owner, Jon, has a policy to allow general freedom of expression but to disallow specific instances of disrespect. That means that we have to actually read the post and understand it in context so that we could then decide if the particular post was insulting. The post that got Adam in the most trouble had no vulgar words but it was directed at a user and contained a phrase demeaning his intelligence. By comparison, this post to you directly references you, contains no questionable phrases, and replies in the negative to your request. Yet you certainly could not say it was disrespectful, could you?

It takes a human touch to decide whether a post is objectionable, and right now we have a discussion underway among the moderators regarding just when a post becomes objectionable. We are like any other group of humans. Our different backgrounds mean that it is hard for us to reach consensus on many topics. In line with Jon's hope for diversity, sometimes we err on the side of caution.

@Sun_Force - the first thing you learn with certain commercial jobs that supply you with laptop or desktop computers is that the major browsers are preferred because the IT maintenance staff doesn't want a dozen different browsers to have to trouble-shoot.

I don't have a problem with Tor. However, for security reasons, some of Tor's routing abilities can lead to people hiding behind a complex route so they can remain anonymous. In context, Vassago's comment is merely in line one I heard when working for the U.S. Navy - more hackers come through Tor than through other browsers. They use Tor to overcome IP blocks that were installed for a good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom