NETWORKDAYS for Access (1 Viewer)

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 09:50
Found this on another site as to how to use NETWORKDAYS in Access.

There is a NetWorkDays function available to Excel worksheets but not directly available in Microsoft Access. You may have noticed that this function is listed in Microsoft Access help. This
is because we included the Excel help topics in case users were using the Excel spreadsheet components within Data Access Pages in Access 2000.

In any case, the NetWorkDays function is exposed in the Microsoft Office WebComponents function library (MSOWCF.Dll), and it is possible to reference this library from Microsoft Access and call this function indirectly by using your own function.

In order to use this particular function, follow these steps:

1. Insert a new module into your Microsoft Access database.

2. On the Tools menu, click References.

3. Scroll down through the list, and check the checkbox next to "Microsoft Office Web Components Function Library." If it is not in the list, then click the Browse button, and locate MSOWCF.Dll
which should be in your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office folder.

4. Click OK to close the References dialog box.

5. Insert the following code into the module you created in step 1.

Function GetNetWorkDays(startDate As Date, endDate As Date) As Integer

Dim objFunction As MSOWCFLib.OCATP
Set objFunction = New MSOWCFLib.OCATP
GetNetWorkDays = objFunction.NETWORKDAYS(startDate, endDate)
Set objFunction = Nothing
End Function

This code allows you to indirectly call the NetWorkDays function from within Microsoft Access. You can call the GetNetWorkDays function, pass it the starting and ending dates, and then return the value from the NetWorkdays function.

If you want to call the function from a control on a Microsoft Access form or report, you would use the following syntax on the control's ControlSource property:

ControlSource: =GetNetWorkDays(#12/1/1999#, #12/17/1999#)

Of course, this example is using hard coded dates. You will need to replace the dates in the expression above with the dates you wish to calculate, or a reference to a field in your table which
contains them.

For instance, ControlSource: =GetNetWorkDays([StartDate], [EndDate])

Last edited:

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
OK. So what, I found it. Now how do I use it when the module doesn't define the holiday range?

How do I change the module to find the holiday range located in tblHoliday.Holiday and would it be possible to change the week count (for a four day week Mon - Thurs)?

Autoeng

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:50
<Bump>

I know if is an old post but I noticed there is no answer to this and might be intresting to know if it is possible to structure it like you do in Excel

OK. So what, I found it. Now how do I use it when the module doesn't define the holiday range?

How do I change the module to find the holiday range located in tblHoliday.Holiday and would it be possible to change the week count (for a four day week Mon - Thurs)?

Autoeng

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, that for that.
I found that I could actually refrence it without the dll file as the object was already in the list. Just had to tick it.

But can you give me an example of the syntax please as I have not idea. I tried it like Excel but not working.

Thanks

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:50
First you define the below function in a module

Code:
Dim objFunction As MSOWCFLib.OCATP
Set objFunction = New MSOWCFLib.OCATP
GetNetWorkDays = objFunction.NETWORKDAYS(startDate, endDate)
Set objFunction = Nothing
End Function

Then you call the function, let's assume you want to find out the number of working days left this year

Code:
msgbox GetNetWorkDays(Date,#31/12/2013#)

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Hi there,

Thanks, but what I actually want to know is how to refer to the table containing the list of holidays like you do in Excel by referring to the range containing the same.

Without being able to do that, the function is not worth much to me.

Thanks again
Pierre

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:50
Well you can count the number of working days and subtract the holidays from it?

Have a table that defines the holiday dates like the below:

Code:
HolidayID - HolidayDate
1 - 12/25/2012
2 - 1/1/2013

Then do

Code:
Dim DaysToSubtract as integer
DaysToSubtract = DLookup("count(*)", "holidays", "holidayDate between #" & Date & "# AND #01-Jan-2013#")

Last edited:

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks - yes I'm actually doing something like that already (counting the number of holidays within the same date range) but I thought this "method" of being able to use Excel function would make things much easier but it is not really as flexible as it is in Excel. Not that that will EVER make me an Excel fan :) Access still rules.

mac.vba

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:50
Hello,

I'm using the same code in msaccess which used to work perfectly on the Win XP platform. I upgraded my OS to Win 7. It's now giving an error as "Runtime Error 429 - ActiveX Component Can't Create Object". I unchecked & rechecked all the library references.

Old OS: Win XP
New: Win 7
Old msaccess: 2003
New: 2010
Old office: 2003
New: 2010

Please help.

michaeljryan78

Registered User.
Local time
you may want to take a look at something I just came up with. test it to make sure. It requires a holiday table tblHolidays with a field HolDate (as datetime, shortdate).

Code:
Function GetWorkDays(dtDateIn As Date, dtDateOut As Date) As Integer
Dim x As Integer
Dim rs As Recordset
Dim db As Database
Dim strSQL As String
Dim dtIncrement As Date
strSQL = "Select holDate from tblHolidays"
x = 0
Set db = CurrentDb
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
dtIncrement = dtDateIn
Do Until dtIncrement = dtDateOut

Select Case Weekday(dtIncrement)
        Case vbSaturday
            x = x
        Case vbSunday
            x = x

Case Else
            rs.FindFirst ("holDate = # " & Format(dtIncrement, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#")
            If rs.NoMatch = True Then
            x = x + 1
            End If
    End Select
    dtIncrement = dtIncrement + 1
Loop
GetWorkDays = x
End Function

mjseim

Registered User.
Local time
I made some tweaks for my own use. I made the table and field parameters. I also handled the direction of the dates (first>last, last>first). Take care.

Code:
Function NetWorkDays(dtDateIn As Date, _
                     dtDateOut As Date, _
                     strHolidayTable As String, _
                     strHolidayField As String) As Integer

Dim x As Integer
    Dim rs As Recordset
    Dim strSQL As String
    Dim dtIncrement As Date
    Dim lngDateDirection As Long

If dtDateIn < dtDateOut Then
        lngDateDirection = 1
    Else
        lngDateDirection = -1
    End If

strSQL = "Select * from [" & strHolidayTable & "]"
    x = 0
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
    dtIncrement = dtDateIn

Do Until dtIncrement = dtDateOut

Select Case Weekday(dtIncrement)

Case vbSaturday
                x = x

Case vbSunday
                x = x

Case Else
                rs.FindFirst ("[" & strHolidayField & "] = #" & Format(dtIncrement, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#")
                If rs.NoMatch = True Then
                    x = x + 1
                End If
        End Select

dtIncrement = dtIncrement + (1 * lngDateDirection)

Loop

NetWorkDays = x * lngDateDirection

Set rs = Nothing

End Function

Last edited:

furstukin

Local time
There is actually a much simpler solution to using Excel functions in Access. Simply add the reference to the Microsoft Excel xx Object Library by going to the VBA Project Explorer (ALT + F11) and the Tools>References and finding the Microsoft Excel Object Library and marking the tick box next to it.

Then you just create a function like this:

Code:
GetNetWorkDays = WorksheetFunction.NETWORKDAYS(startDate, endDate)
End Function

And you can easily test it with a form using this code:

Code:
Private Sub Form_Current()
MsgBox GetNetWorkDays(Date, #12/31/2013#)
End Sub

Note this method works for all functions in Excel not just the NETWORKDAYS one.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:50
Using the excel function is mentioned in the first post. You realise this is an old thread don't you?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

furstukin

Local time
Using the excel function is mentioned in the first post. You realise this is an old thread don't you?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Old post or not it is still relevant and people find it using search engines all the time. However, you apparently you did not read my post as it had nothing to do with the function it has to do with not needing a .dll that may not exist on your PC and in my case I don't have admin rights at work to install the .dll to use anyhow but the Excel Object Library does the same thing and is built in. But I digress.

ugadawgs306

Local time
What about the holidays part of the NETWORKDAYS function? I can't seem to get it to work calling the Excel function in Access. It works fine without the holiday dates.

I have a table (tblHolidays) with all holiday dates (HolDates) listed. How do I use the NETWORKDAYS function and look at my table to use the holiday dates?

Thanks!!

cheefai7

Local time
What about the holidays part of the NETWORKDAYS function? I can't seem to get it to work calling the Excel function in Access. It works fine without the holiday dates.

I have a table (tblHolidays) with all holiday dates (HolDates) listed. How do I use the NETWORKDAYS function and look at my table to use the holiday dates?

Thanks!!

Yes, I was going through the solution and I need to incorporate a public holiday table. How should I write in the VBA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom