New Room Temperature Superconductor, LK-99: Genuine Breakthrough or Scientific Hoax? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:39
I am not sure if anyone is aware but there is a big buzz going on in the scientific community at the moment over a new material called LK-99. The Korean authors are claiming room temperature superconductivity for the first time, which could lead to an explosion of technological improvements.

For those who don't know, a superconductor is a material that has zero resistance when electricity flows through it. What are the consequences of that? Less power required, no need for fans, increased miniaturisation of devices, faster devices, longer battery life, lower carbon footprints, lighter devices. There are probably a ton of other improvements too that I have not thought of.

There is a bit of a race going on to verify the findings through other scientists trying to replicate the experience. If it proves true, it is a true game changer and a definite nobel prize.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:39
Hoax? Probably. But it will have the researchers trying to repeat the findings to validate/invalidate the claim.
Should be interesting for a while.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If true, it will transform everything!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:39
Interesting. Maybe a hoax. Might be true but displaying distance limits to the effect. For those not up on superconductivity...

According to John Bardeen and his assistants Cooper and Schreifer (sp?), superconductivity is a second-order phase transition. They got a Nobel Prize in physics for their work. It is all about quantum-level alignment.

Let's compare this to simple magnets. Remember that if you have an insulated copper wire coil wrapped around an iron core and power it up, you get an electromagnet because the coil electrons are spinning around that iron core in an aligned manner. Aligned, spinning electrons create the magnetic field. Permanent magnets exist because the atomic-level "magnetic domains" within the material are spin-aligned. It is the alignment of spin inside the metal that defines the magnetic domain.

You might recall that magnets lose magnetism if they get hot enough to reach the Curie temperature, the point at which so-called valence electrons gain enough energy to do spin-flips. At the Curie point, they lose that alignment. But what does that have to do with it?

I said the magnetic domains exist because at the atomic level, the electron domains of the magnetic material are spin-aligned as well. So you have a bunch of electrons all spinning the same way, and spinning electrons form aligned electromagnetic fields. Therefore, a permanent magnet is that way because (at the moment) Its unpaired valence electrons have mostly aligned spins forming atomic-level magnetic fields that combine to form macro-level magnetic fields. Magnetism is therefore a type of quantum coupling based on spin alignment.

If we talk about "super-conducting" then what is "ordinary conducting"? When we talk about electrons in metals, we have many layers of electrons. The inner layers are all paired in what are called orbitals. Their pairing at inner layers includes that their spins are paired up with other electrons with opposite spins - so they balance out. But when we get to the highest layer of electrons in a metal - the valence electrons - some of the orbitals are NOT paired up and so we can see some interesting effects. If the metal is in a situation where an electric current tries to flow through it, the electrons can jump into the vacant orbitals (just passing through). The more unpaired orbitals there are in the valence electron level, the lower the resistance. Electrical resistance occurs when the metal resists that electron exchange. More places to make the exchange generally means lower resistance.

Remember that Schrodinger's equations are about the probability of an electron being in a particular place. If an electron has more possible places to be with similar probabilities for each place, its resistance to being here or there - or someplace else - is reduced. Conductivity in general simply has to do with how probable or improbable it is for those electrons to move from place to place.

Semiconductors (most notably studied by William Shockley, John Bardeen, and Walter Brattain - and yes, it is the same John Bardeen who got the Nobel prize mentioned earlier - his second one) are just metals that normally have high resistances to this electron exchange. If you apply an electrical field to them, the metals allow much easier electron exchange. The electric field imposed on the base of a transistor acts like the on/off switch for very high or much lower resistance. The energy applied to the base of that transistor either raises or lowers something called the "conduction band" which relates to the energy required for current flow.

Superconductivity is a similar effect but dealing with electrons doing spin-alignment at a different level. Just like we have atoms that display distant coupling - quantum entanglement - we can have atomic orbitals that can couple at a distance. In superconductivity, instead of adding a bias to lift the conduction band, we are removing interference from other sources.

The reason we need to cool down superconductors is simple... thermal noise! The natural randomness of electric orbitals occurs because the atoms are vibrating with their natural heat energy. Those random vibrations make distant coupling impossible. They act like (actually, they are the source of) static in an electrical circuit. Turn up an audio amplifier with no input signal and listen to hear this effect, usually audible as a hissing noise.

But if you cool things down enough and have the right materials, the "thermal" electrons settle down to their minimum energy levels. When the noise gets out of the way, non-adjacent atomic orbitals can "sense/see" each other and can align. Alignment again has to do with the probability of electrons being here or there. This alignment allows electrons to jump seamlessly to other similarly aligned orbitals. Superconductivity is then nothing more than a form of quantum alignment that makes it easy for electrons to move from place to place based on playing with electron probabilities.

Cotswold

Local time
LK-99 sounds a bit like graphene, or a variation of graphene.
One application for graphene is to use it as wallpaper. As it absorbs light and heat to generate electricity for the home. Another was to have it on the outside of buildings to generate electricity. It all sounds brilliant but it is very early days, although it is in use in several high cost areas.

Often being early into the market can be profitable but doesn't appear to be the case with graphene. It was supposed to be a game changer but up to now isn't. In fact everyone I know who has invested in it has lost money. Maybe just early days and in another 20-50 years it will be everywhere.

jpl458

Local time
Today, 13:39
I am not sure if anyone is aware but there is a big buzz going on in the scientific community at the moment over a new material called LL-99. The Korean authors are claiming room temperature superconductivity for the first time, which could lead to an explosion of technological improvements.

For those who don't know, a superconductor is a material that has zero resistance when electricity flows through it. What are the consequences of that? Less power required, no need for fans, increased minitisation of devices, faster devices, longer battery life, lower carbon footprints, lighter devices. There are probably a ton of other improvements too that I have not thought of.

There is a bit of a race going on to verify the findings through other scientists trying to replicate the experience. If it proves true, it is a true game changer and a definite nobel prize.

Sounds like it's right up there with Cold Fusion. Has anyone tried to repeat the process?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, there is one lab saying they have found some diamagnetism, which is a magnestic repulsion effect that superconductors exhibit. Part of confusion is that there are tons of scientists to be the first to prove or deny the material. So, people are rushing and it also means some might hoax it.

There are some papers that it could be possible too. It looks like it might have legs, but still too early to say.

Here is a Reddit link with some discussion: 1st claimed replication

In fact, there are tons of various threads on Reddit but this one has a video showing possible verification (or maybe hoax).

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Great video on it:

jpl458

Local time
Yes, there is one lab saying they have found some diamagnetism, which is a magnestic repulsion effect that superconductors exhibit. Part of confusion is that there are tons of scientists to be the first to prove or deny the material. So, people are rushing and it also means some might hoax it.

There are some papers that it could be possible too. It looks like it might have legs, but still too early to say.

Here is a Reddit link with some discussion: 1st claimed replication

In fact, there are tons of various threads on Reddit but this one has a video showing possible verification (or maybe hoax).
I won't hold my breath, or quit shaving. It took 25 or so years for scientists to prove Einstein's statement that gravity bends light.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:39
I won't hold my breath, or quit shaving. It took 25 or so years for scientists to prove Einstein's statement that gravity bends light.
You are talking about the empirical evidence for Einstein's theoretical work. These researchers are claiming that the magnetic levitation (albeit incomplete) is empirical evidence.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
From what I have read, confirmation (or denial) is expected in a short number of weeks or possibly even days. Some of the challenges are creating the purity of the sample. With so many labs working on this, I am sure we will get some information in the very near future.

jpl458

Local time
You are talking about the empirical evidence for Einstein's theoretical work. These researchers are claiming that the magnetic levitation (albeit incomplete) is empirical evidence.
Isn't that a contradiction in terms? Like, I sorta saw something that looked like BigFoot.

jpl458

Local time
From what I have read, confirmation (or denial) is expected in a short number of weeks or possibly even days. Some of the challenges are creating the purity of the sample. With so many labs working on this, I am sure we will get some information in the very near future.
Has this been replicated by any other reputable scientist?

Dave E

Registered User.
Local time
What mainstream science sources, and media outlets, are reporting this revelation? I haven't heard anything so far, so I'm leaning towards the hoax.

jpl458

Local time
Me Too! Article in Scientific American.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:39
One problem with ANY superconductor is that if you develop a strong magnetic field, you collapse the "delocalization" by creating a barrier to the long-range probability exposure that is the basis of the effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom