Newbie Query! (1 Viewer)

King_kamikaze

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:04
Hi all,

I have been browsing throught this forum and found there are some excellent Access users out there, i however, am relatively new to this.

I am starting to learn quite a lot though and have taken a lot of information from this forum, my question is this;

I have been set a project, basically i will be using access to display various types of information that are downloaded daily to a spreadsheet, this spreadsheet will have a different file name every day. This is where my problem stems from, i need to be able get this database to keep updating the information in an imported table. I cant for the life of me think of any way to do this automatically, has anyone got any suggestions of where i should start.
:confused:
Sorry if my question is not too clear, please let me know if i can clarify anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks
Tim

EDIT: Forgot to mention that i will be using Access 2000.

Last edited:

King_kamikaze

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah thanks Taff, that is kind off what i am lookin for but is there not a easier method I.E, a macro that prompts for the file name and then it would update it like that, i am sure if that is feasible or not.

Many thanks! :D

iidx036

Registered User.
Local time
Why not have the spreadsheet name stick to the same kind of format but then append something like the date at the end. eg "Information 12/01/2005.xls"

Then you can run an import via VBA with the current date appended to the end of it.

Sorry, "12-01-2005", Excel doesnt like the forward slash!

Last edited:

Taff

Registered User.
Local time
Not sure if this is the best way of doing it but try this.

Anthony.

Attachments

• Import Test.zip
    24.5 KB · Views: 80

King_kamikaze

Registered User.
Local time
That sounds like a good idea, the format of the spreadsheet is "Volumes 20050109.xls" which has got the date in reverse, thats the only bit that should change, is there any code i could use to pop up a message asking what date i am working on and then import using that, only reason i ask is because we work a day behind and you would have to take into account weekends so i dont think it would quite function just asking for the current date.

I am not the greatest of VBA coders as well but if i know that it is possible then i am sure i could search for a bit of usuable code!

Thanks Guys!!!

King_kamikaze

Registered User.
Local time
I've just tried that Anthony and its really good, but the spreadsheets consist of 3 seperate sheets, the names of these sheets should be consistant though! i.e "Application" "offer" "Complete", could i change that so it imported all three sheets from one spreadsheet?

Cheers!!!

Last edited:

Taff

Registered User.
Local time
Try this.

Anthony

Attachments

• Import Test2.zip
    31 KB · Views: 87

King_kamikaze

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks alot Anthony thats gave me a good basis to work on, i am now tryin to get it to create seperate Tables rather than merge it into one!

But i cant expect you all to do everything for me, you have been really helpful though and i really apreciate it.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom