No More Cash!!! (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:53
All you Brits out there! It's becoming more and more difficult to pay with cash. Some major companies like Starbucks no longer take cash, you have to pay with a credit card! I may be being paranoid, but if you have to always use a card then basically you can be tracked.

We've seen this in America where the FBI used people's card payment history to identify them as being present on January 6th, then went on to prosecute them! It is not necessary to debate the rights and wrongs of any individual instance, it's the principle of it that needs to be in debated...

Before you start to debate in this thread, go to this website and log your objection!

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:53
Many of the small businesses in my area have posted signs outside explaining how they are getting screwed with fees when we use a credit/debit card and how they prefer cash. As a result, my wife and I have started using cash whenever possible.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:53
Go to gas stations that have automated pumps. You will see that they charge extra if you pay via credit card. That has been happening for a few years now ever since some bank legislation cleared the way for charging service fees.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Go to gas stations that have automated pumps. You will see that they charge extra if you pay via credit card. That has been happening for a few years now ever since some bank legislation cleared the way for charging service fees.
I have two fuel credit cards that allow me to buy fuel at a discounted price - 20¢ less. However, if I only make the minimum payments on the card, I actually end up paying MORE than the price had I simply used my debit card.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That has been happening for a few years now ever since some bank legislation cleared the way for charging service fees.
That has been going on in Connecticut - land of the fees and taxes - for 20 years at least.

Cotswold

Local time
I understand that Natwest bank is to reduce the number of cash machines and the amount that can be withdrawn. Presumably others will follow suit to make it more difficult to withdraw cash. The tax aputhorities want to see the end of cash. It will make it easier to tax and control you. If a business only does cards then their turnover cannot be amended and tax reduced. Unless they have two card companies and they keep one secret of course.

Mind you, if cash ended then the rip-off builders, plumbers takeaways etc. cannot fiddle their tax and if they pay more would our tax come down?

If a shop refuses cash and their sales fall off a cliff then they'll change their mind. If Starbucks don't sell anything over a month or two, they'll change their opinion about cash. Another thing to do is to go in and buy say one drink. Till out then buy another, then something else. They'll then be charged by the card company for every transaction, which would result in several charges instead of one. It's a game, don't let them win.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Everyone should pay for their "lattes" at Starbucks using a separate CC for a month just to see what that habit is costing you. My daughter has finally figured out how to make a pot of good, strong coffee to use for her daily iced coffee from DD. It is saving close to a hundred dollars a month. That could be 1200 going to principal on her mortgage which will take 5 years off of her mortgage. And then there's the 15 minutes per day to go to DD and wait in line that she also got back.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
My daughter has finally figured out how to make a pot of good, strong coffee to use for her daily iced coffee from DD
I am currently fighting that battle with my oldest daughter. We wont even get into what her "weed" habit is costing her...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Presumably others will follow suit to make it more difficult to withdraw cash
I used to get my pocket cash from the grocery store when I paid for my groceries every week. My bank got taken over and now they limit the cash back to $50 which isn't enough

ebs17

Local time
Today, 16:53
companies like Starbucks
You can also vote with your feet.
I can't think of a reason to drink coffee out of a plastic cup unless you have to. I learned to drink from a porcelain cup, and that's also a piece of culture that resists unculture from America.
I also prefer food on a plate to fast food chains that hide their products in cardboard.

Cotswold

Local time
I also prefer food on a plate to fast food chains that hide their products in cardboard.
On fast food shops.
Some years ago a friend of mine with a fish wholesale business in North West Lancashire selling to fish & chip shops, restaurants, takeaways etc. Sometimes he went out with the van to see their clients, collect money and so on. He said in the indian and chinese there were always tins of cat and dog food opened and unopened in the kitchens. Needless to say we've only ever done English or Italian since back then.
In fact since the Covid fiasco we simply do not buy or eat any food made by someone we don't know personally. And never, ever bought takeaways.

So if you come across a spongy bite you know what it is now.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I notice everything is in the wake of the Covid pandemic.
The Covid pandemic has been used as a dishonest excuse to promote the imposition of a dictatorial autocracy.
As an additional thought beyond digital currency vs paper money debate; consider the attempt to impose "Covid Passports" to track/restrain the movement of people.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I can't think of a reason to drink coffee out of a plastic cup unless you have to.
Me neither, my preferred coffee shop is Costa. I'm not sure if you have those in the USA? But there are more popular than Starbucks in the UK (I believe) ... But occasionally something goes wrong and only paper cups are available, and I'm Gone. I'm not drinking out of a paper cup!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As an additional thought beyond digital currency vs paper money debate
Let us also not forget what Trudeau did to the truckers to stop the strike. If you don't know - he blocked access to their bank accounts. So, they could continue the strike or they and their families could starve. The strike dissolved. That is what YOUR future is like if we don't fight this transition tooth and nail. YOUR life actually depends on it because once the government can block you from your hard earned money, you are nothing.

Let us also not forget that the Jan 6th commission, in violation of the 4th amendment, requested " AND GOT " CC transaction information for the DC area on the dates in question. There was no search warrant. If you used your CC in DC around the time of the riot at the Capitol, YOU were investigated. They did the same thing with phone records. The phone companies and CC companies compiled without a fight.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
If you don't know - he blocked access to their bank accounts.
We had our donation to the truckers rejected as supporting a claimed unlawful activity. This was a travesty, people are free to protest. Especially when one considers that now vice-president Harris set-up a funding website to bail out those who participated in left wing riots which were clearly unlawful.

Last edited:

jpl458

Local time
Today, 07:53
All you Brits out there! It's becoming more and more difficult to pay with cash. Some major companies like Starbucks no longer take cash, you have to pay with a credit card! I may be being paranoid, but if you have to always use a card then basically you can be tracked.

We've seen this in America where the FBI used people's card payment history to identify them as being present on January 6th, then went on to prosecute them! It is not necessary to debate the rights and wrongs of any individual instance, it's the principle of it that needs to be in debated...

Before you start to debate in this thread, go to this website and log your objection!

Seems to me that the cops should use whatever leagle means available to catch crooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom