Off Topic (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 04:03
The only thing better than music is being able to play an instrument! So incredibly satisfying and useful.

When we were little, my mother, who was a professional-grade pianist, "required" all 5 children to take piano lessons (from her) starting at about age 6-7. The rule was, when you're older, and you know enough to intelligently assess your options, you can switch to something else--but you'll never regret being able to read notes or have the discipline to practice, (although you might regret the spankings for failing to!)

My oldest brother switched to guitar and became pretty much professional-grade. Another brother & myself switched to drums, and never became anything beyond enthusiastically mediocre, although I did my share of drumming in a few tiny bands that did high school graduations for rich kids, and a number of small churches.

About a year ago, as the story I'm told goes, my wife was talking to my mother on the phone (a somewhat rare occurrence). My mother asked whether or not I'd like to have a piano again for my birthday (as her sincere hope was always that I'd take up playing the piano). Apparently my wife, experiencing a terrible lapse in judgment, said something like "Sure!" A few weeks later, a $2,000 high quality, full size keyboard appeared at my door.

It now feels like I am a child again. Mom expects me to make some progress, here, but I was wholly unexpecting this new hobby and have made very little! Maybe tonight I'll try Amazing Grace again, in the key of C of course!

Never accidentally express casual interest in something near your birthday that you don't wish to actually become part of your living room!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:03
The only thing better than music is being able to play an instrument! So incredibly satisfying and useful.

When we were little, my mother, who was a professional-grade pianist, "required" all 5 children to take piano lessons (from her) starting at about age 6-7. The rule was, when you're older, and you know enough to intelligently assess your options, you can switch to something else--but you'll never regret being able to read notes or have the discipline to practice, (although you might regret the spankings for failing to!)

My oldest brother switched to guitar and became pretty much professional-grade. Another brother & myself switched to drums, and never became anything beyond enthusiastically mediocre, although I did my share of drumming in a few tiny bands that did high school graduations for rich kids, and a number of small churches.

About a year ago, as the story I'm told goes, my wife was talking to my mother on the phone (a somewhat rare occurrence). My mother asked whether or not I'd like to have a piano again for my birthday (as her sincere hope was always that I'd take up playing the piano). Apparently my wife, experiencing a terrible lapse in judgment, said something like "Sure!" A few weeks later, a $2,000 high quality, full size keyboard appeared at my door.

It now feels like I am a child again. Mom expects me to make some progress, here, but I was wholly unexpecting this new hobby and have made very little! Maybe tonight I'll try Amazing Grace again, in the key of C of course!

Never accidentally express casual interest in something near your birthday that you don't wish to actually become part of your living room!

Yep, understood. Had that problem with a TV my mother bought for me. I had to make her take it back. Fortunately, they did. But Mom DID allow me to change instruments. I used to play accordion. When I was a kid, that was popular. When I turned 11, I switched to trumpet and learned how to play recognizable tunes but never got really good ... had no embrochure. Then Mom won a one-month rental on a spinet organ and got 4 free lessons. She took the lessons but I was home during the summer and learned to play, 2 keyboards & pedals. Over the years since I was 12, I have had seven organs in my house, trading up each time until the last one, where I had to replace a flooded console (due to Hurricane Katrina). I now have a Technics F5 organ that I found on Craigslist.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:03
1620230914457.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There are theories about why men are attracted to specific types of women based on appearance. (Men are often drawn to women who remind them of their mothers, for example.) But when it comes to milk, I don't object to having a little bit of chocolate in the mix.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Despite his flaws, I had to respect Jimmy Carter. I believe he honestly tried to do well.

Biden is neck deep in the Ukraine scandals. I can't trust him farther than I can throw my mini-van.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Have to admit I've always been a loner, but never quite figured out why.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 07:03
Biden.png

Source "The County Compass"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom