Local time
Today, 15:06
Dang, running with the big dogs! Nice 🍻

1594160043633.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
A really good quote: "Hysteria is the most communicable disease known to us and we're now living through a pandemic of it"

Tucker Carlson: What holiday should be canceled next?

If I had to take a guess, setting aside the lower hanging fruit, like any smaller state- or industry-based "holidays" found guilty, but if I had to take a guess as to the next BIG one, I'd say Thanksgiving Day is definitely in for a fight.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:06
Local holidays? Just don't try to take away Mardi Gras from south Louisiana. The Cajuns are always looking for good bait for gator hunting.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 18:06
Why is it that when catching a train home to then catch a bus only to have to wait for it because it's running late. And yet if the train arrives 5 mins late I can see the bus leaving on time therefore having to still wait for the next bus. Just saying.
Have they passed Murphy's Law in Kangaroo land. Murphy's Law: A supposed law of nature, expressed in various humorous popular sayings, to the effect that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Local holidays? Just don't try to take away Mardi Gras from south Louisiana. The Cajuns are always looking for good bait for gator hunting.
A Doc, Trivia Quiz: What city calls itself "The Mardi Gras City of the North"?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I know that Washington DC often has Carnival Balls. Perhaps you were thinking of them? Or there is St. Louis, which also celebrates it.

Since it is derived from a religious holiday (Ash Wednesday always follows Fat Tuesday, the translation of Mardi Gras), I would say that almost any deeply religious city would have a shot at it. I would say "Providence, RI" but I've been there and they are SO fuddy-duddy that the whole bloody town shuts down at 8 PM. Sidewalks are rolled up by 8:30 in the downtown area.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Dick, Murphy's Law is very real and was first attributed to Ed Murphy, one of the engineers at the White Sands NM rocket-sled test site. It may be slightly apocryphal except that I have seen confirming articles, just don't remember where. But some poor pilot took a 9G ride on a rocket sled only to find that they recorded no data - because the data plug was put in upside down. So here is this poor guy hurting like Hell, probably developed instant arthritis for nothing, because some schmuck of a technician hooked it up wrong.

Ed Murphy was incensed for the pain of the pilot and the loss of important data. That is where he uttered the infamous "Murphy's Law" - If it CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong. However, nobody ever remembers the second half of his law, which was an admonition to all of his test engineers. The full version is: If it CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong. Therefore, make it impossible for it to go wrong. The practical result of his law was the molded, odd-shaped, polarized plugs in modern computers that can only be plugged in with one orientation.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I know that Washington DC often has Carnival Balls. Perhaps you were thinking of them? Or there is St. Louis, which also celebrates it.

Since it is derived from a religious holiday (Ash Wednesday always follows Fat Tuesday, the translation of Mardi Gras), I would say that almost any deeply religious city would have a shot at it. I would say "Providence, RI" but I've been there and they are SO fuddy-duddy that the whole bloody town shuts down at 8 PM. Sidewalks are rolled up by 8:30 in the downtown area.
Doc, I was born in Woonsocket, RI. At the time Woonsocket, RI was probably 50 to 70 percent French Canadian, Catholic, with a mix of Irish Catholic and Italian Catholic. My high school was 98% Catholic, including the teachers. How a cute little Catholic boy like me, became a ugly old Baptist preacher has bewildered my family for eternity. We use to have a whole week of festivities culminating with a big parade. As I understand it, they still celebrate it but no longer have the parade. At lease one reason for no parade is February in RI is cold, not to mention the ice and snow. The majorette’s legs would freeze. Who wants to see Majorettes with leggings?

https://www.nrica.org/mardigras.html

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Oh be afraid, be very afraid ... It's ONLY a matter of time before Mardi Gras is found to be racist, and revealed that many people actually weep and mourn on that day unbeknownst to the rest of us for some obscure historical nuance.
If you take each letter of Mardi Gras alpha placement and add 5 and divide by the square root of your mother's age, why it becomes something absolutely despicable I'm sure....!!

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I know at least one reason why the Religious Right wants to get rid of Mardi Gras. All sorts of gays come out in full drag or in outrageous outfits of other kinds that involve straps and such. Men and women kissing in public in various combinations. Why, it is downright DECADENT. Which is, of course, the whole point of a holiday based saying farewell to the flesh.

People think it is supposed to be the end of eating meat, but no. Lent is about giving up something.

Reminds me of the story of the fundamentalist preacher who was getting married to a sweet, lovely, and VERY innocent young lady. But due to a combination of bad luck, the only day they could get the church was a few days before Easter. They went through the marriage, had their reception, and went off to the hotel for the night. So this sweet, innocent young lady sits in the bed naked and says "Honey, it's time for us to get busy." He looks over to her sadly and says, "I can't because it's Lent." She says, "Oh, no! To whom and for how long?"

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I found an article that said Grant's cause of death was a brain aneurysm. No other comments were available when I looked.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I half expect every death to be covid related these days. I guess people pass away from other issues too. He was a good guy.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I half expect every death to be covid related these days. I guess people pass away from other issues too. He was a good guy.
What is a really sobering thought to me, is to imagine what is (and will be ... slowly revealed, over the coming months & years) the effect of people who either voluntarily or had to put off treatment of various conditions considered "less urgent", due to Covid situations.
Ranging from procedures that were deemed just a little less urgent, to just the voluntary putting off of highly advised treatments.

Within my family we've already put off something that really 'should' be done, but wasn't urgent...that family member simply was afraid to go into a hospital environment with everything going on and feeling like it was an infection "hotspot". In their case it won't probably have any ill effects, but I imagine there are millions for whom there will be at least some consequence.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I am not rushing for my cataract surgery. I can still see out of that eye and the glare associated with "scatter" off the cataract isn't blinding yet. My other eye, done years ago, became painfully glare-blind so I had that one done out of necessity. This one can wait.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
What is a really sobering thought to me, is to imagine what is (and will be ... slowly revealed, over the coming months & years) the effect of people who either voluntarily or had to put off treatment of various conditions considered "less urgent", due to Covid situations.
Ranging from procedures that were deemed just a little less urgent, to just the voluntary putting off of highly advised treatments.

Within my family we've already put off something that really 'should' be done, but wasn't urgent...that family member simply was afraid to go into a hospital environment with everything going on and feeling like it was an infection "hotspot". In their case it won't probably have any ill effects, but I imagine there are millions for whom there will be at least some consequence.
Isaac, I know what you mean, I'm having a procedure in about a week. I have had a few since covid-19 started. You have to be a strong advocate for yourself and others. And find doctors you have faith in.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I like the way they called her a Nazi even tho she is mostly likely Jewish. https://www.foxnews.com/media/bari-weiss-quits-new-york-times-bullying

View attachment 83483
Yeah ... that's interesting. A good read as far as the quotes they took from her resignation letter, I'll have to read the whole thing tonight.
Like I've said before, this new raging mob culture has several more months to make complete jerks of themselves before the upcoming election. So far they are doing an excellent job of it with little help, left solely to their own devices. Allowing the street protestors to coin "Defund the Police" (even acknowledged by most democrats to be the dumbest self inflicted PR slogan they've ever seen), was a great start.
I've already started to see a noticeable countering to it, and sickening of it. Was at Safeway last night, tried to Buy Goya, but couldn't find any of their items there ... Must have been in the wrong store or aisle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom