What's a query?

Daxton A.

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:32
And How do I sort w/in a table?

lets say i have a table that has:

Manufactures Name Part Number

How would i sort out all the Manufacture's Names and then sort the part#'s after that?

diversoln

Registered User.
Local time
The easiest way is to use the design view for a query.

Under Objects, click on Queries and then click New. Choose the Design View rather than one of the query wizards.

A window will open that allows you to build the query from tables, other queries or both. From the tables tab, find the table name you want to use. Click Add then click Close. The window will close and you will see the design view with a small window showing your table name and its field names.

Drag the field names into the grid. You can pick and choose some or all of the fields - whatever you'd like to be in the query. Depending on how you'd like to sort things, move from left to right. So Manufactures should be to the left of Part #'s as you described it.

If you click your cursor inside the sort box in the grid, under manufacturers, you'll see a pull down arrow appear that allows you to choose ascending or decending. Select one and repeat the process for part numbers.

Press the "!" symbol at the top of screen or the view icon (usually located in the upper left corner of the screen) to change to the data view and you will see the sorted data. You can also select the view by right clicking your mouse in the upper part of the query design view window. And you can see the SQL code that Access generates by selecting the SQL view. This comes in really handy if you need to customize beyond the built in Access capabilities.

Hope this helps !

diversoln

Registered User.
Local time
As for what else queries can do... You can do all kinds of other terrific things with queries like limiting what you see, say you only want to see part numbers produced by manufacturer ABC, use a select query. You can perform calculations like multiply the price of a part number by the quantity someone buys to determine their total cost. You can also summarize data using totals, averages, max's, min's etc. You can delete records - if you stop using a manufacturer and never need their information again. You can also append records to a table. There are lots of uses and some are complex. Have fun.

Daxton A.

Registered User.
Local time
Thank You

Thank you for all the good help Diversoln I didn't expect such a good answer.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Daxton A.

Registered User.
Local time
???

I think I did what you said but it didnt arrange the part #'s by manufacturer. You see what I'm trying to do is make a form and on the form I would like to have a combobox for manufacturers. And depending on which manufacturer is selected, all their parts show up in another combobox sorted.

Daxton A.

Registered User.
Local time
And how do I

Get a combobox to show up all the manufacturers. I've created the query and Im creating the form right now. But what do I have to do to make the combobox show all the manufacturers? Forgive me but this is the first time I used Access. :confused:

Daxton A.

Registered User.
Local time
??????

I dont see a combo box wizard. What are ya talking about?

Daxton A.

Registered User.
Local time
Ok...

I figured out the part about showing both of em up but how do I get only the manufacturers parts to show up?

R

Rich

You now need to search here for Cascading Combo boxes, there have been many examples posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom