Question On creating an accounting system using microsoft access (1 Viewer)

kawawa.chitiya

Local time
Today, 22:07
I hope I am posting in the right place

I learned Access at a very basic level a few years ago and was pretty comfortable building databases that static data [only required that rows of data are added and deleted]. Now I have a new challenge [and I must mention that I am not a programmer]. I was asked to develop a database that would perform a series of accounting functions pertaining to a list of products [with quantities] and services. The same database would have a list of employees, and regular customers.

I have since created tables for employees, products/services, orders, customers. I would like the a user to be able to create an order to which customer details and orders+quantities can be added, but I have no idea where to start from or how to get the job done.

Any help

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:07
Unless you're prepared to put in a great deal of work and effort it would be easier and faster to buy an off the shelf accounting programme

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
First off even working hard and knowing what you are doing its the kind of thing that would take 6 months of going for it.

Not knowing what you are doing probably more like 3 years.

Definitely try it and go as hard as you can at it , you'll learn a great deal from the experience, but just be careful of promising too much. There are so many good accounting systems out there that very few professional developers would ever take this on. Just reinventing the wheel.

Most bespoke systems are only designed because there are few or no alternative systems either that or there is an individual who is just interested enough to go for it.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
it depends what you mean by accounting system. What you describe sounds more like some sales order processing stuff, which may well be worthwhile.

Personally, I agree with the other posters - I certainly wouldnt bother doing basic ledgers without a good reason. But as a matter of interest, I knocked up a perfectly good NL, and a goof fixed asset register in a couple of days each.

I think SL/PL would take a bit longer, but not too much. Decent cash allocation procedures would be the hardest, I would think.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
IF you are creating Invoices outside an Accounting solution, then you will probably create simply interface into an Accounting solution. Obviously, Cash will need to be processed, which is not that difficult, not have to accept part-payments and batch process to match bank deposits and multiple may have to accommodated. This way you can obtain Debtors - Aged Trial Balance.

Stock systems can be rather elegant outside an Accounting solution and it depends on your ability to programmically manage Stock Balances.

The test is simply does your solution work? Does it satisfy the business model?

Simon

pkstormy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:07
Take a look at the Northwind.mdb that ships with most versions of MSAccess. This has a lot of the things you mentioned.

Otherwise, accounting type databases are NOT beginner (or even to some extent, intermediate) level databases, especially if you've never designed one. You can easily get trapped with what starts out as a simple accounting or ledger type database (which if you've done before, can take a few days to a few weeks or months) becomes a nightmare of development (take it from someone who has developed several, several Peachtree level type accounting type databases tied to timesheets, travel vouchers, purchase orders, accounts payable/receivable, etc...etc...) (I did some work on the off-the-shelf Quickbooks database as well.)

Don't plan on developing something as you've described within a few days/weeks (or even months) unless you plan on skipping a lot of essential data-checking steps and good form designing.

You'll definately need a good knowledge of vba coding along with good relational table structure db skills along with a lot of pre-planning before you even start working on the table structure design process.

An in-house designed ledger type db has it's advantages over an off-the-shelf product since it's customized for the companies specific needs but again, plan on expansion since most of these in-house type projects become quite involved at some point (if not now, in the future). You'll need to weigh whether you have the resources (ie. development/upkeep/db modification time) to develop an in-house design versus an off-the-shelf product which offers a lot more than you'll ever be able to design but also requires more of a learning curve for the users.

What I often see happening with in-house designs such as these is at first, it's a simple ledger type database. Then it becomes something tied to a Timesheet type database or Travel Voucher type database or Purchase Ordering system database, etc...etc...Just be prepared.

Last edited:

AJordan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:07
You should purchase or borrow "Access 2007: The Missing Manual", assuming you have Access 2007. This is a great book to begin with and it covers exactly what you want to do in good detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom