Open .exe without Shell (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 18:05
Then it seems that he's been a jerk after all. :)

Moosak

Local time
Today, 10:05
@Moosak welcome aboard. You are relatively new but haven't posted much. Can you explain why you would recommend using a Windows API call rather than native Access code? Is there something about it that is better, in which case we'd love to know that.
Hi @Pat Hartman
I'm still at the beginning of the journey. :)
I recommended using this procedure for two reasons, firstly because that he requested not to use the Shell function, secondly I tested it and it does not fire alert messages. and I did not pay attention to the issue of IT men

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:05
That's fine but the previous poster posted the Access version of the API which works just fine and is one line of code. I was just wondering if you had any information to suggest that the API was somehow BETTER than the Access method. It sounds like you don't so that's fine. Usually when a question has been answered, we don't offer alternate but equal solutions unless the poster asks for one because he can't get the first one to work unless we know that our method is somehow better.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
At times like these I wonder what Moss and Roy would do. :D

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
When I was in the Merchant Navy, a 'professional 3rd engineer' (an engineer who never took any of the exams and hence could not go any higher than 3rd) used to give me stick, as I went to college as a cadet to pass my exams and then move on to get my 2nd Engineers ticket.

Stick was along the lines of 'you youngsters only know it in theory'. I have been doing this for years.

One day he called me to ask for help, as the A/C was not working well. I was the Cargo Engineer at the time, looking after the refigeration of the gas cargo, Propane & Butane or Ammonia.

I switched the machine on and ran a few tests, then pointed to a particular head on the compressor and said 'Those valves are broken'
Are you sure he said.
Yes I said, positive
He then said, I don't want to strip it down only to find there is nothing wrong with them.
Up to you I said, but I'll give you a hand if you want.

So we took the head off and sure enough, the valves were bust. Put in two sets of spares, boxed it up, purged it and got it running.
Bingo, all working great again. The ship can break down in the middle of the ocean and noone gives a damn, if the A/C goes down, there is a riot. :)

After that, I never heard a peep out of him. :) rofl

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When I was in the Merchant Navy, a 'professional 3rd engineer' (an engineer who never took any of the exams and hence could not go any higher than 3rd) used to give me stick, as I went to college as a cadet to pass my exams and then move on to get my 2nd Engineers ticket.

Stick was along the lines of 'you youngsters only know it in theory'. I have been doing this for years.

One day he called me to ask for help, as the A/C was not working well. I was the Cargo Engineer at the time, looking after the refigeration of the gas cargo, Propane & Butane or Ammonia.

I switched the machine on and ran a few tests, then pointed to a particular head on the compressor and said 'Those valves are broken'
Are you sure he said.
Yes I said, positive
He then said, I don't want to strip it down only to find there is nothing wrong with them.
Up to you I said, but I'll give you a hand if you want.

So we took the head off and sure enough, the valves were bust. Put in two sets of spares, boxed it up, purged it and got it running.
Bingo, all working great again. The ship can break down in the middle of the ocean and noone gives a damn, if the A/C goes down, there is a riot. :)

After that, I never heard a peep out of him. :) rofl

Clearly there's a reason why you're the @Gasman :D

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I have a client that needed to be able to fire an sFTP transfer from Access.
The Client lead (a senior partner) made sure that the Head of IT was talking to me about what I needed.
He got his head IT technician to talk to me, and the sFTP program gets added to their white list of approved software.

All very simple and painless, and super helpful IT guy. I can pretty much get him to assist me with anything provided I explain the end goal clearly. Great working relationship.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have a client that needed to be able to fire an sFTP transfer from Access.
The Client lead (a senior partner) made sure that the Head of IT was talking to me about what I needed.
He got his head IT technician to talk to me, and the sFTP program gets added to their white list of approved software.

All very simple and painless, and super helpful IT guy. I can pretty much get him to assist me with anything provided I explain the end goal clearly. Great working relationship.
It can't be unusual now for a database to want to send/receive ftp files.
I presume IT depts don't have an issue with FileZilla as a desktop app.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I did get assistance from one Access programmer in IT for that bank DB, with regard to interfacing with one of their DBs, but just the one. :)

Moosak

Local time
That's fine but the previous poster posted the Access version of the API which works just fine and is one line of code. I was just wondering if you had any information to suggest that the API was somehow BETTER than the Access method. It sounds like you don't so that's fine. Usually when a question has been answered, we don't offer alternate but equal solutions unless the poster asks for one because he can't get the first one to work unless we know that our method is somehow better.
Is there any worries from using APIs?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You guys do realize that you hijacked the thread don't you?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is there any worries from using APIs?
No. Except when the bitness changes and then you have to modify your API calls. I use API's but ONLY when Access has no internal method. The Access internal method was recommended and we presume that it worked for the OP since he hasn't been back. So my question was, since there was already an acceptable answer, why would you post some alternative that took more code and was not in any way superior. I think we can be done with discussion since it is going nowhere and is not in any way productive.

aivars

Local time
Today, 12:05
Hello, on my computer Application.FollowHyperling gives a warning window (picture)
Using API function, as suggested, works without popping up that window.

Windows 10, Access 2021, 2207 version

Attachments

• secwarning.png
    secwarning.png
    34 KB · Views: 72

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:05
you don't need api:

CreateObject("Shell.Application").Namespace(0).ParseName("c:\windows\notepad.exe").InvokeVerb "Open"

Moosak

Local time
You can write it this way also :

Code:
Shell "explorer.exe" & " " &"c:\windows\notepad.exe" &, vbNormalFocus

No popp ups.

kevnaff

Local time
Just curious, does FollowHyperlink work?
Code:
Application.FollowHyperlink myPath

Hi theDBguy,

I used the following code:

Code:
Dim myPath As String

myPath = "H:\QA90PRO32\QA90PRO.exe"
Application.FollowHyperlink myPath

and got this message:

QA901.PNG

When clicking OK I get this:

QA902.PNG