Outside contractors (2 Viewers)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 15:04
Well if i were you and to have access the backend from internet i'd be setting up dynamic dns. Have it all set in the back end and do the required to forward a port to the db.

Your right!
but that's the part I am trying to learn. "The required" I have to find out what the required is first. I would love go to a community college, but traveling as much as I do I will have to settle for an on line course. Your suggestion appreciated. What should my first course be?

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:04
Dynamic dns or dyndns is a subscription for an year for 11$ (i think)dyndns.com should give you the prices.

Once you have a host name after you've subscribed then configure that name into the front end while linking the tables.

Like \\testdb.com\inventory\inventory_be.accdb

I haven't tried it though. So to do these there is no course requires. If your planing for a course then checkout udemy.com for MySQL courses.

Hope that helps.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Dynamic dns or dyndns is a subscription for an year for 11$ (i think)dyndns.com should give you the prices.

Once you have a host name after you've subscribed then configure that name into the front end while linking the tables.

Like \\testdb.com\inventory\inventory_be.accdb

I haven't tried it though. So to do these there is no course requires. If your planing for a course then checkout udemy.com for MySQL courses.

Hope that helps.
Thank You so very much. It will give me a start.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:04
Dick, have you tried to export a table via ODBC to see what happens? You may be over thinking this.

Attachments

• Export.png
    Export.png
    30 KB · Views: 82
  • Export2.png
    Export2.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Export3.png
    Export3.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 80

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Export a table to where?
I was under the impression your organization has a server with an existing database. And a contractor built a substandard product. Furthermore you have stated that you have been granted the necessary permissions to build your own version.

Now it seems you are looking for a host.

Maybe I misunderstood you, or I am mixing up two different threads.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I was under the impression your organization has a server with an existing database. And a contractor built a substandard product. Furthermore you have stated that you have been granted the necessary permissions to build your own version.

Now it seems you are looking for a host.

Maybe I misunderstood you, or I am mixing up two different threads.

You got it pretty accurate. the duplicate db I am building is on my machine. I have access for data entry on the master db but not for back end coding. The server is not on our organizations machines, but is on a host server, I think in TX. The main entry people are in Dayton, TN and I am in Belleview, FL. I was with our president in Tampa, FL last week and he hinted at giving me the pass word for the server, but I don't want it until I know what I am doing. Once I get into it, I think I will get me a inexpensive host and put some of my db's on a server and play with that. BTW I am an intermediate MS coder, but I am a geek to anybody in our org. They are just data entry people. I think the data entry people thought I could just go in there and fix the bugs.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I have access for data entry on the master db but not for back end coding.
There really isn't any code in the backend. I have attached a picture of what tables look like on SQL. If you notice in this example someone uploaded a copy of Northwind. Its just tables that's it, linked to the frontend. That's where all the code is.

Attachments

• sql-server-management-studio1.jpg
    sql-server-management-studio1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 71

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
There really isn't any code in the backend. I have attached a picture of what tables look like on SQL. If you notice in this example someone uploaded a copy of Northwind. Its just tables that's it, linked to the frontend. That's where all the code is.

Ok. the master db the tables are on the server and have a globe in front of the names. Do I understand correctly. all I need is SQL to talk to the server to reach the tables. I just signed up for a course to study MySQL.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
if you click on a table with a globe does all the records open for you?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
if you click on a table with a globe does all the records open for you?
yes tables open
This course I am taking is very inexpensive and so far I like it but I am already bogged down. He had me down load XAMPP apache. I am like a kid in a candy store. he opens up a welcome screen but all I find so far is a control panel. I will have to go thru the folders until I find the right app file.

Attachments

• controlPanelcropped.zip
    35.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Manage serversCropped.zip
    147.2 KB · Views: 71

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
if you open a table in design view and attempt to alter something, do you get a message saying you can't save the changes?

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
If you can't edit the table from the front end are you able to edit from the backend? Seems like a read/write issue. Got to have that fixed before going forward.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
If you can't edit the table from the front end are you able to edit from the backend? Seems like a read/write issue. Got to have that fixed before going forward.
SQL doesn't allow anyone without a password to save the changes.

Dick basically needs two things to work with this database.

1. Logon and password.
2. A way to edit the backend tables. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express. This is a free download, not sure how robust it is. I use the full version at work.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8961

After a few days of groping in the dark there will be an ah ha moment.

Last edited:

anishkgt

Registered User.
Local time
I'd suggest dick convert the linked tables to local and play around with. Yea SQL or MySQL.

Dick which one of these are used in you company?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom