overthinking it.... (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 08:52
I don't claim to know how everything works. But I do claim to know how lots of things work. Don't you?
YES. :)
But I'll admit you can do some web languages and I never went that way. So if you make comments about php or some of those other related languages, I might just take your word for it. If the situation ever arises.
I would advise you against that Richard. Just because I *seem* to know something doesn't mean I actually do. If you ever did something like that, you would be making a serious mistake, just like the CEO I talked to months ago, who, when I said this to him:
well I'm glad you appreciate my view on things, but perhaps it's best if I sit down with your other PHP developer and tell him what all I can do for your firm? That way you'll know exactly what I offer.
responded with this:
that's OK, I trust you
LOL. I couldn't believe that when I heard it. Talk about a misled authority figure! Now granted, it's true that I have an innate ability to solve, what seems like, impossible software problem by using a vast majority of programs for different purposes, but that doesn't mean that I really know what I'm doing. It just means I can solve problems by manipulating code and software to do crazy $hit noone thought was possible. Another instance of an authority figure putting too much trust in an obviously intelligent person that was not trained in the language his team was developing in, happened 7 years ago during my 2nd go-round with Collins Aerospace. He said in the interview:
we develop a lot using C and C++. Do you have any experience in that?
and I said:
Nope. I've never written any code C-oriented in nature, nor have I ever developed embedded technologies
and this was the next thing to come out of his mouth:
oh don't worry about that. You can learn it with no problem
....and the first day he put me with a 60 year old mentor who had been writing C code for 20 years. When I told him what the manager said, he goes:
he said WHAT!? oh my God, there's no way in hell you can learn to do this in just a couple weeks.
truth be told, I went to the manager a few days later and told him he made a pretty big mistake and it would be better for me to give up the contract and find something else. Go figure though, he tried desperately to get me to stay, probably because he was starved for talent who possessed common sense. But common sense people sometimes aren't technically capable to do the things that need done. But you already know that....

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You tell that story and yet not that long ago you tried to tell us that all languages are pretty much alike.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
well they *are* Richard. Don't you agree with that? But as far as I know, C and C++ fall a little bit outside that realm. I can't say for sure though, since I've never written either nor have I explored either one. The only thing I know for sure is that Python has hundreds of .h extension files included in its installation package, so obviously it makes heavy use of C or integrates with it to perform plenty of tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom