Padlock on .accdb and .accde (1 Viewer)

kevnaff

Local time
Today, 08:29
Hi All.

I am having network disruptions ever since upgrading from .mdb and .mde to .accdb and .accde.

I may be clutching at straws as I'm struggling to get to the root cause of it. But I have noticed that when I copy my front end to my computer, my .accde and lock file have a gold padlock on them. When I copy the front end to my other users, they have a blue padlock. The .accde should open in the same way for everybody.

Does anybody know the difference between the two, if any? Below is an example of mine and another user's.

1632404886100.png

123456.png

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:29
Just a guess, but maybe they have a different version of Access than you do?

kevnaff

Local time
Just a guess, but maybe they have a different version of Access than you do?

I've just checked and we're all using Version 14.0.7628.5000

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:29
The symbols for those file icons are different, though. Are they on the same version of Windows? OR are they using their FE files shared vs. exclusive mode? When you see different icons (not talking about blue/gold differences here) then something is different at the O/S level. Note that the Purple A-in-a-square is HIGH on the icons with the blue locks and LOW on the icons with the gold locks.

At different times (versions), Access file icons have been the letter A or a purple key symbol. Something is different there besides the version.

ADDENDUM:

It may be due to the permissions on the folder rather than anything to do with Access.

Last edited:

kevnaff

Local time
The symbols for those file icons are different, though. Are they on the same version of Windows? OR are they using their FE files shared vs. exclusive mode? When you see different icons (not talking about blue/gold differences here) then something is different at the O/S level. Note that the Purple A-in-a-square is HIGH on the icons with the blue locks and LOW on the icons with the gold locks.

At different times (versions), Access file icons have been the letter A or a purple key symbol. Something is different there besides the version.

I have just checked and we are at different OS Build Levels. All of the FE files are distributed from the same place, and all have the shared option selected in the client settings tab.

Would different OS Build Levels cause issues?

I'm not too sure why we're on different build levels because the updates are usually pushed at the same time by IT.

kevnaff

Local time

ADDENDUM:

It may be due to the permissions on the folder rather than anything to do with Access.

Regarding the addendum, thanks for that I'll look in to this.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Your screenshot actually shows an ACCDE file together with the .LACCDB lock file created when it is opened
Using Access 2010 (14) and Windows 7, I get a blue padlock on both files in Explorer detail or list view.
ACCDB files do not show a padlock as these aren't 'locked'

1632410997717.png

However if I change it to tiles or contents view, I get yellow padlocks!
1632411066817.png

I had a quick look at A2003 and the colours were the same as above in each case.

FWIW, changing to Access 365 running in Win 10, I have red padlocks in both details & content views
1632411681833.png

Oh what fun ;) No idea what any of the colours mean but I don't see it as being in any way important!

P.S. Recommend you switch on the Show file suffix settings in Explorer

Last edited:

kevnaff

Local time
Your screenshot actually shows an ACCDE file together with the .LACCDB lock file created when it is opened
Using Access 2010 (14) and Windows 7, I get a blue padlock on both files in Explorer detail or list view.
ACCDB files do not show a padlock as these aren't 'locked'

View attachment 94723

I had a quick look at A2003 and the colours were the same as above in each case.

However if I change it to tiles or contents view, I get yellow padlocks!
View attachment 94724

FWIW, changing to Access 365 running in Win 10, I have red padlocks in both details & content views
View attachment 94725

Oh what fun ;) No idea what any of the colours mean but I don't see it as being in any way important!

P.S. Recommend you switch on the Show file suffix settings in Explorer

Haha OK. Maybe I'll take less notice of this then. I was just curious at to what this could mean.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I have blue? :) Access 2007 with Win10 21H1
1632412589652.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Haha OK. Maybe I'll take less notice of this then. I was just curious at to what this could mean.
One thing I can say for certain ....its definitely not the cause of your network problems :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:29
From what little I was able to find, the color MAY POSSIBLY relate to inherited permissions or effective permissions. Compare the permissions on the files. Which by the way if done correctly are that you have MODIFY permissions for the folder and all files in that folder where the BE file is located. I wasn't able to find any articles detailing color codes. Here is another article suggesting that it is a permissions issue.

And another one.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I would be very surprised if the different colours were anything to do with file or folder permissions.

As mentioned in post #8, the yellow or blue lock symbols seen in older versions of Access depend on the view used in Windows Explorer.
The same folder will display one of those colours depending on the view used. Same folder/files so same permissions but different colours.

The red lock is always shown in A365 and is likely a design change by someone who wanted to match the Access icon colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom