Paste Limit (1 Viewer)

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:46
How can I change the amount of data you can paste? I think Access has a limit?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:46
Here is an article on that subject.

The limit may be Windows-based rather than Access-based. It could also be a per-process memory quota.

This article uses the virtual memory size, so that may be a limit to consider.

For a 32-bit system, you MIGHT run into issues of memory mapping limits, which would be hardware-related. On a 64-bit system, that is less likely to be a culprit.

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Is that the same for copying one column to another? It has a limit?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:46
Is that the same for copying one column to another? It has a limit?

ALL clipboard actions, from copying a single character to copying a whole file, will have limits. The limits are primarily in the clipboard. Access uses Windows API calls to do things like this. (They don't ALWAYS re-invent the wheel...)

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Not field size... I'm talking about copying an entire column to another column.

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
My work around is to copy a smaller amount of rows at a time.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you use an append query?
What are you copying from and to?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This is Excel thinking. Use a query to copy the data. ALSO you should reconsider your reason for having to duplicate the data. This is generally poor practice. In a relational database application, we use queries to join tables to pick up related data to show on forms and reports. We NEVER store it in multiple tables.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:46
as we are trying to explain, if you are copying a column of text with an average length of say 20 chars and 20,000 rows, then that is something over 400,000 chars or 800,000 bytes which goes against the clipboard limit of (I believe) 4mb i.e. around 4,000,000 bytes. Richtext will be even more because of all the hidden characters

But Pat is right - use a query

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 07:46
If this were a one-time cleanup process, to correct something, I'd say it's worth pursuing (perhaps). However, if you intend to do this as a regular part of a workflow, NOW is the time to stop and think carefully about the wisdom of such an approach. Frankly, duplicating columns is almost never a good plan. I'd say "never", but well, one should never say never. ;) Ah, heck, it's never a good approach as part of an on-going process.

Copy/paste is a MANUAL process, and as such relies on the care and precision of the user to accurately select, properly copy and accurately paste the data.

Append queries are the proper tool for a relational database application in any event.

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
The best way seems to be an export to excel and then back into access at a text field, then change it to a hyperlink.
Then everything will at least look the same.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would not recommend using a Hyperlink data type. That data type is not supported by SQL Server. Just store it as a string and in the doubleclick event of the name field, use the Application.FollowHyperlink Me.somecontrolname method.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Agree with Pat, Hyperlink DataType is a P.I.T.A. to work with (IMO)

You haven't stated what your linking to , whether its web urls or files and folders.
Here's a link to a procedure which opens any url or file with the default application for the type of link.
http://access.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@moke123 It is quite likely that the code you linked to predates the FollowHyperlink method. So you can write one line of code or lots of code. It is a choice:)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Less letters in fHandleFile() than in FollowHyperlink(). :rolleyes:
Only difference is that Followhyperlink is native and fHandlefile requires you copy and paste the already written code to a module.

IIRC, followhyperlink used to occasionally throw up a warning message that fHandleFile does not.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
IIRC, followhyperlink used to occasionally throw up a warning message that fHandleFile does not.
That's interesting. One of my users gets security warnings but no one else at the same company does. I haven't tracked down the setting that is causing the problem yet. But it is a setting since only one person has the problem.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:46
is this the same question being asked here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom