Payroll Strategy (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:01
If you were designing a Payroll database and wanted to add absence and vacation time into it, Would you:

A. Add the Required fields to the Payroll and simply link to the others tables
B. Create subforms linked by PK and FK
C. How would you then track the absence and vacation time apart from Payroll

D. ?

1. Create Absence Reports
2. Create Vacation Reports

ButtonMoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:01
The best answer is not to do any of those things. Get yourself an off-the-shelf payroll package. Unless you are a software vendor there is almost certainly no sensible reason to write your own payroll application. If you did have a reason to do such a thing then Access would not be the platform of choice for a payroll.

Working time and absences can be tracked through a timesheet, which in principle could be a single table with start and end dates for different types of activities. Some aggregation of the timesheet table would then become an input to the payroll system.

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:01
Read Question Again! It is already written, was asking for some thoughts, direction.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:01
I was going to say exactly the same thing as button moon with regard to payroll in general

however, if you just want to track absence and vacation time, then have a table

employeeid, absencereason, datefrom, dateto, [maybe workingdays]

storing [workingdays] is clearly reduncant, but it may be easier to store the evaluated figure, rather than keep recalculating.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:01
I agree with Button and Dave re Payroll. However, if you're going to monitor/track absence and vacation, I recommend you identify what exactly you want to track. Many orgs have codes for sick, bereavement, training, vacation, stat holiday, compensatory time off....... I don't think absence alone is the subject, but we do not know your set up nor requirement.
Is there a breakdown of absence type in your spec/scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom