Percentage problem (1 Viewer)

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:09
Could I please receive a comment on what we are doing wrong as we would like to enter and show 4.32 per cent as 4.32 %

Field Format = Percent
Field Decimal places = 2

Entry is made as = 4.32
Shows as 432.00

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Nicole

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:09
The question is, what is the DATATYPE of the field?

It is possible to use integer datatypes with scaling, but it is SO easy to mess that up. If the datatype is Single or Double or Currency, this should be an easy problem.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:09
maybe Wrong entry, since the field/textbox is formatted as percent.
entering 0.0432 is the correct entry (on the UI display it will be 4.32%)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:09
Many years ago I discovered Excel made some unhelpful assumptions about what was being entered into a percentage formatted column. Values within certain ranges were assumed to already be percentages while others were assumed to be ratios and converted automatically to percentages. I only tried percentage once in Access it seemed to also have nonsense behaviours.

Consequently I never store or format anything as percentage. Instead if I want to show something as a percentage I take the number multiply it by a hundred and concatenate the percent sign. That way I remain in control.

access2010

Registered User.
Local time

It is possible to use integer datatypes with scaling, but it is SO easy to mess that up. If the datatype is Single or Double or Currency, this should be an easy problem.

===
Thank you for your question
Data Type is = Number
Field size is = Single
Format is = Percent
Decimal places = 2

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:09
If you enter the number as 0.0432 does it show up correctly?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Many years ago I discovered Excel made some unhelpful assumptions about what was being entered into a percentage formatted column. Values within certain ranges were assumed to already be percentages while others were assumed to be ratios and converted automatically to percentages. I only tried percentage once in Access it seemed to also have nonsense behaviours.

Consequently I never store or format anything as percentage. Instead if I want to show something as a percentage I take the number multiply it by a hundred and concatenate the percent sign. That way I remain in control.
+1 on this approach.

and, 4.32 percent is NOT 4.32, as @arnelgp sort of pointed out. it's .0432

Just use number 2 decimal places and enter correct value. Worry about formatting in the "presentation" layer of Access--never the table, unless there's absolutely no other solution possible.

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
===
Thank you for your question
Data Type is = Number
Field size is = Single
Format is = Percent
Decimal places = 2
If you enter the number as 0.0432 does it show up correctly?

===
Yes, if the entry is 0.0432 it shows up as 4.32%
As there are many entry changes during the week, could you please suggest an other way of of entering the data as 4.32%
The percentage value is actually copied from an Excel spread sheet and is Viewed in Forms and Reports

Thank you,
Crystal

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:09
copy first the values (from excel wheter copy/paste or imported) to a temp table.
do the conversion of the percent field.
copy to the working table.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Or just fix the problem in Excel so that it gets entered as the correct value when it's copied. 6 to 1, half a dozen to the other

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:09
If the Excel spreadsheet does not have the data formatted correctly, you will need to fix it on import by dividing by 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom