Petition to remove rep points from the forum (1 Viewer)

Shall the current reputation system (green jellies) be REMOVED from these forums?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 03:07
I probably should have included an answer for those who have no preference either way. Sorry about that.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:07
If we are going all egalitarian perhaps the AWF VIP should be abolished as well.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 05:07
If we are going all egalitarian perhaps the AWF VIP should be abolished as well.

This almost (really almost) feels like a "Bazinga!" moment

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 11:07
I do like the post count displayed because I will sometimes adjust my answers based on my perception of the skills of the OP. Their post count can play a small role in that perception.

I tend to look at how long they have been on the forum, both are only a rough but non the less useful guide.

brian

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 06:07
I disagree with removing post count. That helps in determining spam posts for sure. I don't want to have to go to the member list to see their post count if I can see so on their profile easily. ;)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I disagree with removing post count. That helps in determining spam posts for sure. I don't want to have to go to the member list to see their post count if I can see so on their profile easily. ;)

Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 22:07
I won't vote because not informed enough but would like to see an option to click on a post as being a good idea/response.
We have this on the volvoforum uk and it is good. You just see a line of member names that say the post has also helped them.

I do get impressed when a thousands poster has taken the time to respond to one of my simple and sometimes mis worded questions.

Also would like to see a resolved flag but this is only good if the heading is relevant as sometimes the issue ends up to be a diff problem from originally thought.

Great forum regardless of the outcome.:)

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Just an alternative solution: Don't show the green jellies publicly. That's what they did on one other forum - nobody can see others' reputations but only their own.

One useful aspect (at least in the theory) of reputation point was to enable providing feedback without distracting from the thread itself and by making it visible only to oneself I think it sufficiently reduces any wrong motivation.

But OTOH, it can be argued that PM is a better way to convey feedback, especially negative feedback.

Basically, I wouldn't be heartbroken to see the reputation to go away, and would actually prefer this over showing the green jellies publicly. But I thought I'd at least mention the alternative as it seemed to work very well and put an end to that "reputation war" that was going on at the other forum.

As for post counts - I have same problems as it is used as a measuring stick when it shouldn't really matter that much. I'm all for quality over quantity, so to speak. I wonder if vBulletin supports a setting that post counts is visible to moderators only on thread view? That would at least address Vass's valid concern while encouraging us to focus on the post's quality rather than whether the post came from a certain member with a certain criteria. (Hopefully at least)

Vassago

Local time
This is true, if we hide the reputation, it would definitely help. This way, the user still knows how someone feels about their post, but they aren't in it just for rep points because no one else will see it. Works for me.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I don't know what is or what is not possible with the software, but that would be fine by me, I suppose if it were possible to accomplish.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
FWIW, the other forum uses vBulletin, so I would imagine it's possible here as possible.

The only thing I don't know for sure is the ability to show post counts only to moderators in the thread view, though.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
A repeated question but valid nonetheless

What's the difference between the AWF VIP flag and the reputation item?

To be consistent if you get rid of one you should get rid of the other?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
The difference is that the VIP category is a voted on reward by other VIPs to join the ranks. There is a special VIP forum area where we can discuss things with each other and with Jon which allows him to get the take on things that he might not want to share with the entire population of the board at that time.

It also lets those in membership have a place to share potential frustrations, get help with threads they may be having a problem with and have it only seen by a limited number of people (normally those who have been here a while and have been helping out on the board to a great extent).

So, it can act as kind of an advisory board to the site owner Jon and also help with discussions which might not be appropriate for everyone at a particular time.

It was modeled after the very successful VIP program on Utter Access which allows Microsoft to actually share information with those people in that smaller group and get feedback where attempting to do so from the larger group would not be as successful.

I have been lobbying Microsoft to include AWF VIPs in a similar vein. I would vote to keep that designation alive here but am willing to give it up if Jon were to decide to scrap it.

Vassago

Local time
I think the VIP area is necessary for the reasons you outlined.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Bob

Can I ask at anytime in the past did the reputation system encourage you to answer peoples posts?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Bob

Can I ask at anytime in the past did the reputation system encourage you to answer peoples posts?

In the beginning, yes it did. The thrill of getting more reputation helped motivate me.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Thanks for the honesty in responding to that post

My point is...

We are potentially getting rid of a democratic system open to all (albeit with imperfections)

We will be getting rid of a system that we have evidence has provided motivation for individuals to act in the common good of the whole group (arguably for personal gain - it is said it is never possible to be truly altruistic)

There will still be a privately elected Elite that the vast majority will never have a chance of joining.

Does that strike you as more or less democratic??

Strikes me as a defacto nepotistic dynasty?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I think your desires are entirely above board and I think it is entirely natural for people in the the course of their careers to seek reputation especially in their early years and then maybe once they've got it realise that really it wasn't as necessary or important as they thought and that the simple knowledge is reward enough..

But shouldn't you let people learn that for themselves?

chergh

blah
Local time
Meh, who cares about posts or reps. How about a petition for site mods to start enforcing decent thread titles and use of code boxes?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Meh, who cares about posts or reps. How about a petition for site mods to start enforcing decent thread titles and use of code boxes?

That would take someone to have it be their full-time job and since we don't get paid for this, I think you'll just have to grin and bear it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom