Pinned Database won't open (1 Viewer)

tabitha

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:25
It's really weird and I don't know what to do. I work in three different databases, but for one of them (the main company db), if I right clicked the pinned Access program on the taskbar and click the pinned database, it does nothing if someone else has the file open already. If the file isn't open, it'll pop up with an "Unknown publisher" warning (new, never happened before this), but it'll open the file. If someone has the database open, it doesn't flicker or even try, it just does nothing.

I am able to open Access and click on the database in the "Recent files" and have it open that way. I don't know what to troubleshoot, its like it's not seeing the file, but I can go to the properties on the pinned db and it shows the correct file location. I'm the only one having this issue, the other users here can right click the pinned program and open the file like normal.

I've rebooted my computer; unpinned and removed from list; compacted and repaired; nothing is making a difference. Any suggestions?

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:25
You say that the database can be used by more than person at a time. Is everyone using the same version of the database file, or has the database been split with each person using their own Front End, and sharing the Data in the Back End?

Your symptoms are consistent with the single database option. Depending on coding methods, Access will sometimes exit without displaying any error when it is unable to open a database because another user has the database locked.

If this is the case, then the first suggestion would be to split the database, relocate the Back End to a common server location, and provide a copy of the Front End to each person that needs to use it.

Get back to us if this is not the case, or if you try this and still have issues.

-- Rookie

tabitha

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:25
We're all using the same file. The database is located on a server share, but there's no back end database. It's something that I'd like to move to someday, but I haven't taken that on. I guess I'll just add that to the list of considerations when I decide to make that transition, but I haven't got the time to do that at the moment :-/

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:25
I presume the database is being opened by default in "exclusive mode"

Navigate to it in the folder structure, and see what happens when you try to open it. You may get a more informative message

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom