Please support these forums (1 Viewer)

mtairhead

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:48
I had a bit of an...

This may have been suggested earlier, I dunno:

I had a bit of an idea earlier today, while working in MS Access on an older laptop of mine. This laptop has no connection to the internet, though I badly wished it did, as I really wanted to search the archives of this forum.

That's about the time that I had this "idea" - Tell me if it's worth anything:
This site (As has been previously mentioned, about 100^8 times above) is a massive archive of advice. It has so much information, in fact, that I usually find the information I need without needing to ask, or at least find a workaround/alternative solution.

What are the prospects of burning the archives of this forum onto CDs and selling them to support the forums? You would have to change the format (PHP obviously doesn't work without a server) but that would be relatively easy, depending on the type of database you use to store the threads, posts, attachments, etc (I assume you use SQL?)
Perhaps you could even put together a front-end, Access Database to help users search for info.

I realize you might be running into copyright issues (If not with the actual posts, then with attachments), and a review of the privacy policy would need to be in order before doing so...

I think this might be beneficial because:
(1) Losers like me don't have Wi-Fi for their laptops or computers with internet access at vacation homes, or relatives’ homes – It makes a great “pocket encyclopedia” for those “disconnected” times.
(2) There are those in many companies/orgs who frown upon the use of forums - Even when for professional use. This change might alleviate supervisors’ opposition – Mainly b/c it wouldn’t look like a forum, more like the “help” interface we run into when hitting good ol’ F1.
(3) Your CDs, if made user-friendly enough, are likely to be illegally copied and distributed to co-workers. These co-workers might have never heard of your site - Perhaps they'll log on when they can't find an answer?
(4) It makes a good backup for you, in case the HD goes down for good.

This is a one-time investment of time (hopefully). The requests for CDs after that are just mailroom and accounting busywork., much of which (accting/paperwork wise) would be automated.

Is this too utopian?

Andrew

PS: Future thought - If you were to include RSS tech. in the forum, you could program the user interface to UPDATE...

MrTibbs

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:48
I'd buy a CD .. depending on price

At $10 or less the archive on CD would be attractive but I do wonder how many people would be away from the internet but keep a CD collection handy?
It may even be worth considering zipping up the archive and allowing downloads.
Some care should be taken to ensure any CD or archive is presented in a format that is easy to search.

mtairhead

Registered User.
Local time
- Ooh! I like the idea of downloads too... It would depend on the size of the database that houses these forums, though. Perhaps if it were broken up into the different categories...

I see your point with people not having CDs handy, if they also don't have the internet... I agree. In my own situation, I usually know when I won't be away from the Internet, so I would take care to bring the CD along.

Perhaps a way of solving the problem would be a CD designed to install its software and knowledge base on a computer... You only need the CD once, and then you forever have an archive of information on your chosen computer.

Either way, (Downloads or CDs) I'd pay for the info too... I've already downloaded several useful threads to my thumb drive for those "no internet" times.

Andrew

drobinson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:48
Throw in you 2 cents..figuratively and literally! (Make it more if you can) Some great forum posts here

Emmanuel

Master Tech
Local time
Glad to help!

Hey guy I have created my website and have a section for support or help site in which I have placed your link as the first on the list. Thank you for all your support and rest assured that we will do all that is possible to help out.

Best Regards,

Emmanuel
http://www.webmanny.com

dsigner

Registered User.
Local time
Links added to Web Directory and links page of www.nhfc.co.uk This is our retail website though I am not sure how many customers for vitamins and lentils will actually make the link. Pleased to help as it is a very valuable resource.

Northwest_Guy

Access Beginner HELP!!
Local time
I can put links on my website although my website is of no relevance to access help or anything of the like. It's actually jet engine powered vehicles. I know a bit on seo and thought this might have an ill effect on rankings etc. If the links are still needed I will place them for you.:D

Northwest_Guy

Access Beginner HELP!!
Local time
I just realised I have another website with a bit more relevance. Both links now added.

Last edited by a moderator:

Needhlp

Registered User.
Local time
The 3 hyperlinks are shown as a title at the top of my G Blog - Does not get many hits because in French but...

Ciao!
JO

doco

Power User
Local time
I have no website but have found this site to be immensely helpfull so what if a guy wanted to make an outright cash (USD) donation? How would this be done?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hi doco,

your contribution would be most welcome, please send it to me at the address given in my profile,

if you make the cheque out to: the Charitable Access System Help (C.A.S.H Will suffice) I will ensure the funds go to the right department.

Hunter86

Local time
Hi i am a new member to this forum and have been helped by various posts already!
as soon as im back in my office(tomorrow) i will gladly add both your links to my site. its still in early days !
but proud to help!
Dan:D

Last edited by a moderator:

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Today, 23:48
only just noticed this thread (i kindof ignore "sticky's"), but i've had this website linked from my website (http://agspage.filetap.com) ever since, ohhhhhhhhh, i dunno, the first few posts i read?

(under "useful links" | "web + PC" ).

my god, it's been some time since i updated anything on it! *embarrassed*

Last edited:

torehan

Registered User.
Local time
only just noticed this thread (i kindof ignore "sticky's"), but i've had this website linked from my website (http://www.agspage.filetap.com) ever since, ohhhhhhhhh, i dunno, the first few posts i read?

(under "useful links" | "web + PC" ).

my god, it's been some time since i updated anything on it! *embarrassed*

very useful, thanks!

ethanjames

Local time
I am also appreciate... This is great forum.. I am ethan.. I'll join with you guys..

seopositive2

Local time
[FONT=&quot]This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. [/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom