Point of sale (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 14:07
Hello everyone. I am new in access. I have an intention of creating POINT OF SALE for SUPERMARKET AND RETAIL BUSINESS. Kindly assist me with a sample database. I am trying to create tables. Any assistance will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:07
Might be simpler and cheaper to buy system than to build your own. Do you really want a supermarket type system where every single item purchased from pack of chewing gum to rib roast are documented? Do you want inventory control?

Have you studied an introductory tutorial book to learn principles of RDBMS and Access functionality? Start with that.

Search web for MS Access Northwind templates - there are several versions.

Local time
Might be simpler and cheaper to buy system than to build your own. Do you really want a supermarket type system where every single item purchased from pack of chewing gum to rib roast are documented? Do you want inventory control?

Have you studied an introductory tutorial book to learn principles of RDBMS and Access functionality? Start with that.

Search web for MS Access Northwind templates - there are several versions.
Just give me the tables. Leave REFENTIAL INTEGRITIES PK and FK for me. Please

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:07
Google ‘access point of sale template’ or similar to find a number of examples and templates.

but agree with June - understand the principles of database design first

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:07
I don't have such example db to give. I don't know your data and business rules so won't even try to propose schema (even if I wanted to do your work for you). You need to identify your data entities and relationships and build tables accordingly. Post your ideas for review. Or search web for examples as already suggested.

Might find this of interest http://allenbrowne.com/AppInventory.html

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
This thread on Access world forums might be of interest.

The above thread has a link to my website where I have some useful information on barcodes here:-

This particular video on my website might be of particular interest to you:-

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:07
Michelle, we on the forum are not in the business of writing code for every person who is starting a new project. I'm with the others. For a task of this magnitude that potentially deals with many thousands of dollars per day and literally thousands of inventory items to track, you would do FAR better with finding a commercially available product. Depending on exact requirements, this might be more records than Access can handle if you have to track things for a while in order to develop product sales trends and to make stock replenishment projections. If I had such a DB and it worked, it would be valuable enough that I couldn't give it away for free. The magnitude of such a project is going to be valued in many thousands of dollars and would easily fall into the "proprietary" category.

In fact, I'm so surprised that you would try such a thing on your own that I have to ask if this happens to be for a class project.

Local time
Today, 06:07
Start with these tables:
Products, for storing product names and their unit of measure. Do not add prices here, prices always change and they should be stored in another table.
Orders, for storing the information about a sale being made, typically its date, you'll use this record to group the products that belong to this sale
OrderDetails, for storing the products that belong to that order, add quantities and prices here
This simple schema is called a many to many relationship. It looks roughly like this: Products(product_pk, description, unit), Orders(order_pk, saledate), OrderDetails(id,order_fk, product_fk, quantity, price)
You'll have an easy start with that. Need more info? add fields. Fields are repetitive? make a table for them. That's it.

Local time
Start with these tables:
Products, for storing product names and their unit of measure. Do not add prices here, prices always change and they should be stored in another table.
Orders, for storing the information about a sale being made, typically its date, you'll use this record to group the products that belong to this sale
OrderDetails, for storing the products that belong to that order, add quantities and prices here
This simple schema is called a many to many relationship. It looks roughly like this: Products(product_pk, description, unit), Orders(order_pk, saledate), OrderDetails(id,order_fk, product_fk, quantity, price)
You'll have an easy start with that. Need more info? add fields. Fields are repetitive? make a table for them. That's it.
Thanks

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
When you get to the stage of controlling inventory you might find Allen Browne's website useful. Allen explains a good method of controlling inventory. Also, there's some code which you can apply to your database...

See HERE:-

Solo712

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:07
Depending on exact requirements, this might be more records than Access can handle if you have to track things for a while in order to develop product sales trends and to make stock replenishment projections.
Any retail commercial db app has sophisticated inventory control such as you mention, and in some businesses handling perishables more than in others. The need to move goods before expiry date is an absolute priority. Also, systems that I am familiar with have "sales & shelf contribution" formulas, in brand selections and product shelf rotations. Without such features, which come from deep knowledge of specific local retailing supply chains and buyer behaviors, trying to build a POS from scratch is a fool's errand.

Best,
Jiri

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 04:07
Hello everyone. I am new in access. I have an intention of creating POINT OF SALE for SUPERMARKET AND RETAIL BUSINESS. Kindly assist me with a sample database. I am trying to create tables. Any assistance will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
9 times out of 10, building an application like this is far less cost effective than purchasing an appropriate product. So, please don't take offense at suggestions you investigate that option first. If nothing on the market is quite right for you, then it is reasonable to consider the weeks of work needed to create your own. And make no mistake on that point. For a seasoned, professional developer it's multiple weeks of work. For a novice asking for tables to start with? Months of work is a more accurate estimate.

But in the interest of helping you get a better grip on the challenge ahead of you, may I suggest you start with the recently updated Northwind Traders Showcases. One is for beginners, the other for more experienced, but green developers. We based the inventory control in it on the Allen Browne model previously linked here in post #14 and earlier posts. We did, however, add more sophistication. On the other hand, we estimate it is far short of anything a reasonably complete inventory system would require.

Open Access and search for "Northwind Beginner" and "Northwind Dev". It's available for Access 2019 and newer.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
We based the inventory control in it on the Allen Browne model previously linked here in post #14
Now that's interesting! I didn't know that. I will definitely have a look at that when I've got a minute....

Cotswold

Local time
Michelle, June7 #2 gave the best advice on this back on Thursday. As did virtually everyone else. Plus many others told you that Access is probably not the way to go.

You will also have to understand touch screen operations as well as RS232 Comms to link to the tills. Plus credit and debit card reader links. Rock solid remote support, etc. It is not just about Access. There will not be just one make of till to link to. There may be dozens, sometimes different makes n the same building. Oh, don't forget to include stock control, re-order levels, stock turnover, profitability stats, etc.

Years ago I remember seeing a white-faced software guy, in a largish store with the look of panic and horror that you see from time to time in this business. He was surrounded by three or four very angry guys who were clearly not best pleased about the situation and no time for excuses. The tills had gone down and they had to be up and running. No excuses, NOW! It is a 24 hour a day business with instant support required any time of the day or night. No excuses. I had casually considered POS software as an application. After seeing that guy at that moment and realising the realities and just how unforgiving that business was and had to be. I dismissed the idea totally. It is every day of the week. Including Xmas day and every other national holiday that comes along. As soon as the client telephones you fix it and fix it instantly. Not in an hour or tomorrow.

There are already hundreds, maybe many thousands of systems out there. So how much will you have to spend on marketing? How much to convince a company to put your unknown software in? The existing software will be a continuous development over many years with hundreds of features that only experience can know about. It is more than scan, give me the money and goodbye. Make sure your T&Cs are 100% legally to protect you. Plus that your insurance will be one that will pay out in the event of a claim for losses against you. Which from what you have said I will say looks like odds on.

From what you have said about your knowledge and abilities. If you go there, then you are about to find out just what hell is really like. Enjoy:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom