Possibly the stupidest thing ever programmed (1 Viewer)

BamaColtsFan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:33
Ok, so I'm trying to use nested IIf statements to determine the value of one column in a query. For some reason, I can't get the query to accept the third statement. Naturally, I'm using Access 2007 which, rather than actually tell me what the error is, it simply reverts back to the previously saved statement when it doesn't like what I type so I have no clue what the problem actually is. Whoever decided that little trick should be included in Access needs to be beaten severly...

Anyway, I can't figure out what is wrong with the following:

Code:
Reason: IIf([Name] In (SELECT [Trouble Tickets].Name 
			FROM [Trouble Tickets] 
			WHERE  [Trouble Tickets]![Timecard Stop Date] = [CombinedTimecards]![Timecard Stop Date] 
			And [Trouble Tickets]![Name] = [CombinedTimecards]![Name] 
			And [Trouble Tickets]![Date Closed] is NULL ),'TICKET', 

(IIf([Name] In (SELECT [Deployed Soldiers].[Deployed_Name] 
			FROM [Deployed Soldiers] 
			WHERE [Deployed Soldiers].[Deployed] = True 
			And [Deployed Soldiers].[Deployed_Name] = [CombinedTimecards]![Name] 
			And [CombinedTimecards].[Timecard Stop Date] BETWEEN [Deployed Soldiers].[Depart_Date] 
			And [Deployed Soldiers].[Return_Date]),'DEPLOYED/LWOP', 

(IIf([Name] In (SELECT [qryDelinquentBatch].Name 
			FROM [qryDelinquentBatch] 
			WHERE [qryDelinquentBatch]![Timecard Stop Date] = [CombinedTimecards]![Timecard Stop Date]
			And [qryDelinquentBatch]![Name] = [CombinedTimecards]![Name] ), 'Batch',

' '))))

Any advice would be appreciated!

THNX!

Oh by the way - I forgot to mention that it works perfectly with just two nested IIf statements...

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Ok, so I'm trying to use nested IIf statements to determine the value of one column in a query. For some reason, I can't get the query to accept the third statement. Naturally, I'm using Access 2007 which, rather than actually tell me what the error is, it simply reverts back to the previously saved statement when it doesn't like what I type so I have no clue what the problem actually is. Whoever decided that little trick should be included in Access needs to be beaten severly...

Anyway, I can't figure out what is wrong with the following:

Code:
Reason: IIf([COLOR="Red"]1[/COLOR][Name] In (SELECT [Trouble Tickets].Name 
			FROM [Trouble Tickets] 
			WHERE  [Trouble Tickets]![Timecard Stop Date] = [CombinedTimecards]![Timecard Stop Date] 
			And [Trouble Tickets]![Name] = [CombinedTimecards]![Name] 
			And [Trouble Tickets]![Date Closed] is NULL ),'TICKET', 

([COLOR="red"]2[/COLOR]IIf([COLOR="red"]3[/COLOR][Name] In (SELECT [Deployed Soldiers].[Deployed_Name] 
			FROM [Deployed Soldiers] 
			WHERE [Deployed Soldiers].[Deployed] = True 
			And [Deployed Soldiers].[Deployed_Name] = [CombinedTimecards]![Name] 
			And [CombinedTimecards].[Timecard Stop Date] BETWEEN [Deployed Soldiers].[Depart_Date] 
			And [Deployed Soldiers].[Return_Date]),'DEPLOYED/LWOP', 

([COLOR="red"]4[/COLOR]IIf([COLOR="red"]5[/COLOR][Name] In (SELECT [qryDelinquentBatch].Name 
			FROM [qryDelinquentBatch] 
			WHERE [qryDelinquentBatch]![Timecard Stop Date] = [CombinedTimecards]![Timecard Stop Date]
			And [qryDelinquentBatch]![Name] = [CombinedTimecards]![Name] ), 'Batch',

' ')))) [COLOR="red"]<--- Only 4 Closed[/COLOR]

Any advice would be appreciated!

THNX!

Oh by the way - I forgot to mention that it works perfectly with just two nested IIf statements...

Well, for one, because you have open ended parenthesis around the nested if statements, it looks like you are missing one ")". Look above in red.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 00:33
Also, NAME should be in square brackets EVERYWHERE because it is an Access Reserved Word and should NOT be used as the name of a field or object. But since you have that, it needs to be in square brackets.

BamaColtsFan

Registered User.
Local time
Well, for one, because you have open ended parenthesis around the nested if statements, it looks like you are missing one ")". Look above in red.

Well, for the love of God.... all it had to do was give me a little error message and let me fix it! Thanks a million Vassago... Works great now!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 00:33
Make sure you get .Name in square brackets too, or it may fail at some other point down the road.

BamaColtsFan

Registered User.
Local time
Also, NAME should be in square brackets EVERYWHERE because it is an Access Reserved Word and should NOT be used as the name of a field or object. But since you have that, it needs to be in square brackets.

Oops... I guess I knew that Bob, but I clearly overlooked it... I will look into changing it when I can... THNX!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Well, for the love of God.... all it had to do was give me a little error message and let me fix it! Thanks a million Vassago... Works great now!

No problem! Glad it worked out for you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom